Cleaning Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikkeeh

Feeling the Heat
Dec 7, 2011
NE Ohio
I had a power outage on Friday morning. I have an OAK, and it wasn't particularly cold out...so I just let the stove go out. Because its been pretty warm, I've been letting the heat pump handle the heating load. While cleaning today I noticed the inside of the stove was kind of "sticky". Usually the sides and back are coated with light ash that easily brushes off. But today, under the light stuff, the metal was sticky....like when you let vegetable oil burn in a pan. I was able to scrape it off....but it was tough. Havent changed pellet brands.....everything else is unchanged. Ive never run across this before. Anyone else????

I've seen it get sticky too when it gets warm as it did the last couple of days. It happens more often in the spring. It'll be gone once you get the fire going again.

Just had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back. Now I just leave the stove run on low when it is warmer out so I don't have that issue again.

Same thing here..let the stove run out of Pellets Friday night/Saturday morning...so I could clean out the hopper Saturday morning. After I clean the hopper out (had some fines in there that started making some noise), I started to clean the burn pot it also had moisture under the ash. Even after I scrape and brushed it, it still felt oily? So i washed it with dish detergent and it came off clean as a whistle. First time i seen this in two years of having a oak. It was very humid and raining that morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.