cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sculptor

Sep 22, 2009
central nc
I keep reading about cleaning behind the baffles. I have a Englander 49-trcpm. I do the daily maintenance and the semi- weekly maintenance as instructed in the manual/CD. I see no mention of the baffles in either the manual or the CD. Where are the baffles and why is this left out of the scheduled maintenance guide? If I repeatedly missed it in both, I apologize.

While on the cleaning topic- does anyone clean under the top of the stove in front of the hopper lid? I see stuff under there such as small pieces of pellets that fall into the cracks when filling the hopper.

sculptor said:
.....Where are the baffles......

While on the cleaning topic- does anyone clean under the top of the stove in front of the hopper lid? I see stuff under there such as small pieces of pellets that fall into the cracks when filling the hopper.

Sculptor, in the firebox, on each side in the back, there is a little door w/ a screw holding it just above the clean-out slides....remove the screw completely and remove the door. You'll see the "ash trap" area behind them. vacuum that out really well. A piece of 1/2-3/4" rubber hose duct taped to your vacuum works well to "snake around" back in there.

Also, before opening them, remove the fake brick and try banging on the metal back wall with a small hammer.....it loosens soot that's stuck up inside (have your vacuum running to catch other falling "debris")

As for the hopper area, are you referring to the heat vent slots in the top? If so, I never thought about removing that.....you might want to put a call in to Mike at Englander before doing that. I'd be curious what he says.

ah-ha!
The reason I missed it is that it's not referred to as baffles in the man/CD. I should have put that one together though... :roll: thanks macman!

sculptor said:
ah-ha!
The reason I missed it is that it's not referred to as baffles in the man/CD. I should have put that one together though... :roll: thanks macman!

Always glad to be of help, especially fellow multi-fuelers. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.