Cleaning Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jqgs214

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2006
Riverhead, NY
Finished my hearth- will post pics some day soon. Question: I lined it with tile and was wondering how you guys got your inserts in and out of the fireplace without scrathing the hearth? Any suggestions? My installer uses 2-3 small metal rods and kinda rolls it out but i'm thinking that will scratch, maybe a dense plastic rod??

With the 1200i, I'd lay down some cardboard, then put the sheetmetal on top, slipped under the front edge of the insert. Two of us could walk the insert out onto the sheetmetal that way. But I like the roller idea if the stove is able to ride on them. Perhaps a few wooden dowels wood work?

Maybe the metal rods just on some cardboard would do the trick then.

Cheapest rollers around are peices of pipe - I'd look at some small diameter PVC.. If the size is a big issue, you could even go with wooden dowels or (for the really cheap) round pencils. Even with soft materials though, I'd still go with some sort of protection over the tiles, either cardboard or possibly some old carpet or a thin bath mat.

Gooserider

If you had a full liner up the chimney you would not need to REMOVE the stove to clean.
BUT to remove old Inserts before we install a new insert with liner we use
1/8" thick strips of Teflon
Slides out like it was on ICE

This is also the trick we use to move the 700# hearthstones around on hearth to line them up with out having to pick them up to move a few inches

"the 700# hearthstones"

So the biggest hearthstone I have ever seen is the mansfield. 700 lbs is along the lines of this new model that hasn't been seen. Are you speaking of an old out of production model or do you have some pictures for us to see of this new one?

OK you got me rounding up and the Hearitage seems like 700# because it is so a squatie.

most of the new Hearthstones are in the 425 to 575 # range but the new Equinox Model 8000 Woodstove is 689#
they had a contest at the Reno show to guess the weight.

The old Sierra insert was 650 lbs. and I wish to heck I had known about using Teflon to move it out of there every year to clean the chimney.

NOW you tell me Ron!

hearthtools said:
the Hearitage seems like 700# because it is so a squatie.

I will agree with you there. I had one other man help me remove the heritage from my pickup bed and bring it into my home and that bugger was much heavier than I thought it would be. I was just hoping you were making a subtle hint that you had picked up and set up the new hearthstone at your shop. I have no need for the biggy HS but I still like to see the new products.

Thanks

BrotherBart said:
NOW you tell me Ron!
Why does every one call me RoN? LOL

Teflon is a great product to keep around. and last a long time Most of mine are 20 years old.
I have pieces that are from 1/16" thick x 6" wide in a 20 foot roll.
and then I have several Pieces that are 1/8" up to 1/2" thick in 4" wide x 36" strips for putting under Free stand legs and Inserts when pulling them out or setting in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.