Cleaning Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linesider

Jun 3, 2008
Southern CT
I am planning on cleaning top down and I would like to avoid taking any double wall pipe apart, because it requires me to slide it together to shorten it and the black pipe gets scratched. I cleaned top down with the double rope method one time before and it worked well. I had taken the double wall pipe apart in order to install a pipe damper, which caused scratching of the pipe. The damper was installed directly above the stove on the collar, top exit Jotul F3cb.

So if I clean from the top down is it sufficent to clean to the damper?

I have the Jotul f3cb, do I have to remove anything inside the stove, or is it sufficent to stick my shop vac hose over the baffle plate and suck up the fallen creosote?

Will the flex rods or 1/2 pvc make it through two 45 degree elbows with a piece of two foot pipe in between? (double wall- located in living room) Chimney is approximately 30 feet, class A.

Any help appreciated. John

Take the connector pipe apart & don't worry about any scratches.
A can of Hi-temp touch-up paint will cost $10 bux, last you a couple of seasons,
& takes minutes to apply, even if you paint the ENTIRE thing
from the appliance to the support box.
That's - BY FAR - the easiest way to go, & you'll be guaranteed
that everything will be clean.

Daksy, thanks for the reply. I did do a good job cleaning after the pipe was taken apart. I was able to vacume straight into the stove through the top, and had no reason to mess with the stove. I am thinking (hoping) that I could clean above the baffle without removing it. Anyone use flex rods or pvc and are you able to make turns as described above?

Status
Not open for further replies.