cleaning rusted/ pocked hyd. cylinder rods?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Hello all-

I'm doing some work on an older tractor loader that's been out in the weather with the hydraulic cylinders extended/ exposed, and they've developed some rusty "acne" - spots here and there rather than a coat of rust, but the spots (even though small) have raised/ rough texture.

Obviously if they're run back "in" with the abrasive rust, it'll ruin the seals, and quickly.

I realize that the "right" way to do this would be to get the rods re-plated or, apparently, replaced with new... but that isn't in the budget for this project right now.

I'd appreciate any tips and techniques of how to properly, quickly, and effectively clean off the raised/ abrasive rust particles without further damaging the surrounding/ intact hard chrome.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I had a plow with the same deal, I used 0000 steel wool to smooth it out and coated them with Fluid Film. Did that for the 5 years I had the plow and the seals never leaked enough to drip any fluid.

Reactions: hobbyheater
Thanks for the input. I may do some test patches with fine scotchbrite pads and/ or fine klingspor wool + Kroil to see how it seems to clean up the pocks/ scale.

Duplicate thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.