Cleaning secondary tubes and inlets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

precaud

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny New Mexico
www.linearz.com
Last weekend it became obvious that there was less air coming out of the secondary tubes on the left side of my Quad 2100. They draw air from two inlets under the firebox, separate feeds for the runners on each side of the firebox. So I vacuumed the inlet and holes on the left side and it did make some difference. But within 3-4 days it reverted back.

So yesterday I pulled the front stainless tube (which was clean inside), got out the compressor and flushed both sides with much stronger air pressure. This made a BIG difference - there is now much more air coming out the secondaries on both sides. Now that I know what to look for, we'll see how long it lasts.

These are not small air channels - 1"x1.75" on each side. I first thought maybe it was cobwebs. But the inlets are covered when the stove is not in use, and no living thing could survive an excursion up there while the stove is burning... Any ideas about what is causing this?

just normal I guess My FIL has a Lopi Answer and it tell him in the book to clean them every year just like the chimney.
A little wire brushing and an air compressor make a big difference.

same stove here also same prob. i started cleaning mine ever year. i belive it is from the condensation when the stove cools off and is not used for the summer.also dont forget that dust bunnies areborn from heat and air in a compact space.i have used a pellet brush when the stove is down for cleaning. just insert it in the air hole and go to town

Delayed followup here... thanks fish and dan for your input. I'm happy to report the 2ndaries are still fine 2 weeks after the flush. So I guess this is something to add to the annual maintenance list, no matter what brand stove one owns.

I was think about shooting compressed air through mine once the season is over...anyone ever try that?

Right...but I didn't want to disconnect the tubes and thought just hosing it with compressed air would do the trick. btw do you burn papers in your stove?...I was told doing so would effect its efficiency and maybe that's responsible for plugging up the pipes.

I'd guess just hosing it without disconnecting the pipes should do the trick.
No I don't burn papers, except a couple sheets when starting up from cold.

Looking at the coils under my fridge, I reckon that dust bunnies could easily be the prob, too.

I don't know that I have airflow issues, but I wouldn't mind turning an air hose loose on my Avalon... mainly to clear out the dust that's collected in the air shroud (convection chamber). But to do that I believe I'd have to move it outside, and I definitely don't relish that thought.

Eddy

Status
Not open for further replies.