Cleaning some gunk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
For cleaning a small bit of creosote ( stage 2 and 3) that previous sweeps have missed in the smoke shelf area of masonry chimney, is it ok to use a wire wheel type setup attached to drill? Just wanted to make sure that wouldn’t hurt anything. Thanks

There are wire wheels that can just polish your fingernails and then there are wire wheels that can remove all flesh to the bone.

There are wire wheels that can just polish your fingernails and then there are wire wheels that can remove all flesh to the bone.
13D84C80-C98A-4263-A431-590C55B8716F.jpeg

For cleaning a small bit of creosote ( stage 2 and 3) that previous sweeps have missed in the smoke shelf area of masonry chimney, is it ok to use a wire wheel type setup attached to drill? Just wanted to make sure that wouldn’t hurt anything. Thanks
It shouldn't hurt anything but it is not going to be fun. I use various attachments for our rotary cleaning system

That wire wheel brush looks a bit fine and small. Whatever the tool, wear a good tight-fitting dust mask and good eye protection.

That wire wheel brush looks a bit fine and small. Whatever the tool, wear a good tight-fitting dust mask and good eye protection.
That’s good advice. I may try to find a scraper tool that I can bend around corners. I’m try to get directly above the damper. Hopefully a scraper will reduce the overall dust created. I have a vacuum running as well.