cleaning soot off fireplace opening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kguarnotta

Jan 18, 2016
Woodstock, NH
Well I think I've decided on my new wood stove going into the existing fireplace opening. Now I think I should clean all the soot off the stone fireplace around the opening before the new stove comes. Any suggestions on best, easiest ways to clean the stone.

I figured this topic must have been covered in this forum - but a search only turned up results related to cleaning the flue.

Thanks.

The fireplace in my Avatar was built with used stone. I tore down a chimney in an older home so that I could get the stone for free. I did it because we loved the variety of colors in the stone and we can't quarry this stone anymore. The issue I had was the same as yours, it looked dirty and grimy. I tried several things to include power washing (keep in mind the stones were not on the fireplace at this time) Now what I ended up doing that was ultimately successful was taking a angle grinder with a heavy steel wire wheel and applying it to the stone very carefully. It worked great! I then vacuumed the stones and seal with a stone sealer. Suddenly the stones looked brand new! I grinded them when they were actually on the fireplace (it took me that long to find what worked). I actually hung plastic from the ceiling to the floor around the fireplace while I grinded to control the dust. Had it done start to finish in 4 hrs.

The stone on my fireplace is not incredibly dirty, I was thinking some sort of chemical cleaner (TSP, Hot Water, Mr Clean would work?), but if they don't I'll look into the grinder method.

How dirty were the stones you were working on? Mine are not terrible, but are blackened.

I was in the situation you describe when I converted an insert to a freestanding stove (see avatar). I can't tell you the name of the product, but I got it at the stove shop where I bought my stove. It came in a spray bottle and worked great. First, I scraped off all the creosote deposits and wire brushed it as clean as I could get it. Then I sprayed on the product and let it sit a few minutes before wiping it off. It took a number of applications, but eventually the brick came pretty clean. My guess it most stove shops sell similar products. Good luck.

Thanks, I've seen a few products online (Amazon) probably something like what you used. I figured I would need to do something like you suggest, spray, let sit, wipe down, repeat.

The grinder is an interesting idea - but my chimney is not that dirty, I just figured the best time to clean is before I get a stove in.

Muriatic Acid / Water mix (20/80 or so) - wet the stone first and let it sit a few minutes then scrub it a bit. Should clean it right up. Read the label tho :)

Mine had the blackening that occurs from many years of use. It was ground into the stone and I found that chemical cleaners just kinda smeared the dirt but did not lift it out of the stone. So for me the physical abrasion worked best.

paint and peel from saver systems is by far the best thing I have used for this.

Just saw that stuff on amazon - great reviews - a bit pricey. To do my fireplace would probably take 3 gallons. I may start with the muriatic acid first - that is pretty cheap, I think I even have some left over from some other project. I'll try that first, and if it doesn't work - I'll try the paint and peel. Like I said, I don't think my stone is that dirty - just a little bit, and I'd like to clean it before installing a new stove - which I'd have to protect.

Just saw that stuff on amazon - great reviews - a bit pricey. To do my fireplace would probably take 3 gallons. I may start with the muriatic acid first - that is pretty cheap, I think I even have some left over from some other project. I'll try that first, and if it doesn't work - I'll try the paint and peel. Like I said, I don't think my stone is that dirty - just a little bit, and I'd like to clean it before installing a new stove - which I'd have to protect.
Yes it is pricey but it works. I have never used anything that comes anywhere close to it. And how big is your fireplace. I typically do 2 fireplaces with a gallon

MY fireplace is very big - I got some TSP - I'm going to try that with hot water first, then if it doesn't work I'll try some of those spray cleaners - lastly I'll try that item you recommend.

I also have some masonry cleaner leftover form a repointing job. I may try that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.