Cleaning stove gloves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
I was just loading the stove, and noticed how black my year old, Steiner leather welding gloves are. These gloves are the best stove glove I've had. The Orange glove is really blackened from moving burning splits. So I'd like to clean them. But with what? Soak them in landry soap? I don't want them shrinking like OJ's gloves, remember Johney Cockren "if the gloves don't fit you must acquit"

So how did you clean your gloves?

Thanks

I was just loading the stove, and noticed how black my year old, Steiner leather welding gloves are. These gloves are the best stove glove I've had. The Orange glove is really blackened from moving burning splits. So I'd like to clean them. But with what? Soak them in landry soap? I don't want them shrinking like OJ's gloves, remember Johney Cockren "if the gloves don't fit you must acquit"

So how did you clean your gloves?

Thanks
Cant say I have ever cleaned any of my gloves in my life. That is- not intentionally. Many times my leather gloves have gotten wet and the get tough when they dry.But because they are leather they are usually pretty good about bouncing back after working them a bit. With that said I cant see how it would hurt to use a mild detergent or preferably leather soap. Rinse them out good and lay them out to dry- not in the dryer! Are you sure you need to wash them?

Cant say I have ever cleaned any of my gloves in my life. That is- not intentionally. Many times my leather gloves have gotten wet and the get tough when they dry.But because they are leather they are usually pretty good about bouncing back after working them a bit. With that said I cant see how it would hurt to use a mild detergent or preferably leather soap. Rinse them out good and lay them out to dry- not in the dryer! Are you sure you need to wash them?

I'd like to clean them, if I can stop them from getting stiff as a board. They were real nice when they were new. Soft.thick leather. Maybe to soft, they sucked up the black like a magnet.

Cleaning your orange gloves to remove the blackness you will probably find to be impossible. What I like to do with them when the burning season is over is put them both on and smear mink oil all over them and let them sit over the summer. Any seam openings I have been able to repair with carpet thread and a sturdy sewing needle with thimble to push it through. After a period of years they eventually wear through a hole somewhere and become useless for protecting my hands from the heat. I hope someone doesn't chime in and say that the mink oil is flammable. Never had mine catch fire but I suppose it is possible if directly handling burning logs. I say enjoy the dirty blackness of the gloves while they last.

I agree that the mink oil (while it won't clean the black) will keep the leather soft. I use Neatsfoot oil on most of my leather stuff.

I am just wondering why there is a "need" to handle burning logs? I use a poker/hook if needed.

I agree that the mink oil (while it won't clean the black) will keep the leather soft. I use Neatsfoot oil on most of my leather stuff.

I am just wondering why there is a "need" to handle burning logs? I use a poker/hook if needed.

It must be a bad habit of mine to reposition the rounds by hand. I just got another pair on Amazon for $18. I'll try cleaning them. If it doesn't work out they'll become yard wood handling gloves.

If you burn N/S, buy a pair of stove tongs and your gloves and hands will last a long, long time. Got mine at the end of the season marked down to three bucks at Lowe's. And have had hair on the back of my hands ever since.

Reactions: brhorgan
If you burn N/S, buy a pair of stove tongs and your gloves and hands will last a long, long time. Got mine at the end of the season marked down to three bucks at Lowe's. And have had hair on the back of my hands ever since.
:p Hairy palms too??? :p

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.