Cleaning stove pipe and chimney, pictures of flue. is this bad after 1 year burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CT,

It does not look right! I use the same stove as you & I clean the pipes in Dec. after the shoulder season & after the season is over. In Dec I get a pint of brown stuff & in May I get 1/2 pint of brown stuff. You either burn green wood or you close the damper & the everburn does not engage.

You could run over to Preston Trading Post on Sat. AM, buy a liner kit, and have that chimney lined by sundown. Makes chimney cleaning a 20 minute job and left me with 3/4 gal of creosote from all of last winter (Oct thru May)

BrotherBart said:
OK, I held off for several days but here it is. That pic of that chimney and the three gallons of "popcorn" creosote are classic remains of a chimney fire. The stuff puffs up when it lights off and leaves lots of clean spots in the chimney. Sometimes right after the tiles are spotless. Saw it many times over the years with my old stove. I actually intentionally set one of mine off to clean it for the liner install (this was done by a crazy man, don't try it at home). It isn't the life changing, call the fire department thing everybody fears. It happens and you don't even know it is going on.

When I first saw the pic it was de-ja-vous all over again. A sight I haven't ever seen again since I lined both of the tile chimneys.

Ok, now that i thought more about it, i thing i have the answer. i started last year with 3 cords of the best 2 year seasoned wood and 3 cords of what was supposed to be seasoned from a saw mill processor, turned out it was more like half seasoned.
i burned 2-2 1/2 cords of the fully seasoned first. on dec 31, i cleaned the chimney and only got a coffee can full. then i burned the semi seasoned with the remainder of the seasoned mixed in, just goes to show how important seasoned wood is

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
You could run over to Preston Trading Post on Sat. AM, buy a liner kit, and have that chimney lined by sundown. Makes chimney cleaning a 20 minute job and left me with 3/4 gal of creosote from all of last winter (Oct thru May)

looks like about $1000.00 for liner if i install mysel. can't afford now

so how does one read lobsta

CTBurner said:

Alot cheaper online.

he gave us the answer. the half seasoned wood. bb hit it the nail on the head. with my creosote factory there are a few small fires a year. like he said most poeple don't know it's happening. my house is quiet when doing my night load and i can hear a slight rumble when i pushing the stuff to get that 1000 degrees in 2 minutes so that i can go to bed then go up and check out the chimney the next day and there's the puffy stuff waiting to be brushed. it goes from a very slim coating of tar to 2 to3 inches in a very short time.

Todd said:
CTBurner said:

Alot cheaper online.

I got my 30' SS liner kit from Preston last year for under $500.

Periodic cleaning comes with any stove use. Burns that that are hot and long, also using well seasoned fuel minimizes the build up.

Remember, smoke is unburned fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.