Cleaning stove pipe on Harman XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swalz

Feeling the Heat
Jan 2, 2008
Newark, DE
I would like to know if I can take the vent brush through the front of the stove of the Harman XXV to clean the vent pipe. The vent pipe has one 90 degree elbow then straight up with 13 feet of vent pipe through the roof. Is this OK to do :question:

Swalz- make sure you take the ESP probe out before you send the brush through the stove. Other than that as long as your brush is flexible enough you should be ok. If you have a cleanout "T" on the back of the stove its not a bad idea to stick a shop vac on there while you brush it.

No. There is an ESP probe just before entry into the vent pipe that you'll probably break. I am not even sure how you would get the brush through the front to the ventpipe. Most likely you can't. Plus how would you vacuum out debris removed by the brush? Check your manual. Remove the pipe. It is easy to re-attach and you just use heat resistant caulk to reseal any of the pipe section(s) you take apart.

Delta-T said:
Swalz- make sure you take the ESP probe out before you send the brush through the stove. Other than that as long as your brush is flexible enough you should be ok. If you have a cleanout "T" on the back of the stove its not a bad idea to stick a shop vac on there while you brush it.

I see in the manual about where the ESP probe is but how do you remove it? Do I have to remove the vent pipe from the back of the stove or can I get to it by removing the combustion blower? I have no T and was thinking about putting the vac where the combustion blower mounts.

Maineiac said:
No. There is an ESP probe just before entry into the vent pipe that you'll probably break. I am not even sure how you would get the brush through the front to the ventpipe. Most likely you can't. Plus how would you vacuum out debris removed by the brush? Check your manual. Remove the pipe. It is easy to re-attach and you just use heat resistant caulk to reseal any of the pipe section(s) you take apart.

I was hoping I did not have to remove the pipe, the installer did not install any type of brace on the pipe so I am afraid that it will come loose when I remove from stove.

Found a website with a video on cleaning the Harman pellet stoves http://www.stovekeepers.com/help.htm. Looks like I can remove the sensor without removing the pipe, and can go from the front. I may just go from the top down while running the shop vac from the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.