1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Cleaning the Big E...

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by flamegrabber, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flamegrabber

flamegrabber Member

Loc:
    Northshore, Ma.
    I'm going to be receiving my Big E pellet stove this week. I ordered the model with the larger window and had thought it also had the large ash pan/drawer, but it doesn't have the drawer.

I guess that stove comes in several configurations. I thought big window meant it also had the ash pan/drawer, but not so.

I could order the one with the ash drawer but I can't trust the backorder wait. These stoves are in big demand and I've waited long enough.

So I"m sticking with my original, bird in hand and all.

My question is how much more work is cleaning the one without the drawer?

How often does this stove need to be shutdown and cleaned?

Is it a big deal?

Thanks for any info.

FG.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. buildingmaint

buildingmaint Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Oil City PA
    I have a BIG E with the small window that does not have a pan. I clean mine out once a week . I shovel out most of the ash with a little dust pan , and then vacuum out the remaining ash . Once a month I do a major cleaning , which includes cleaning behind the combustion chamber [ BEHIND THE LITTLE DOORS] , and using compressed airto get to places I can't vacuum out. Not a big deal weekly cleaning takes a 1/2 hour, monthly about an hour.
  3. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    When you start seeing the ash pile up do the cleaning. Should be 7-10 days.

Eric
  4. buildingmaint

buildingmaint Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Oil City PA
    Cleaning really depend on how much you are burning, I burn mine on HIGH/LOW # 3/1 . I f you burn on straight 3 or 4 you will have to clean your stove more often.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.