Cleaning the Cat. conv.?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
Do I just vacuum it with the hose or what?

EDIT: Another question...is it true the rim of it is made of platinum? If so, and I ever need to replace it, I'm soooo keeping the rim with my bullion!!!

Thanks

-Emt1581

With the cat in our Fireview, I just take it outside and use an old paint brush to brush the fly ash off. We've never had much on the cat to brush off either. Pretty simple to clean and takes only a couple minutes from start to finish.

I like to vacuum it. It's the entire surface area that does the work. Meaning the inside of the honeycomb as well, not just the face. Just be really careful, and don't actually touch the combustor, unless you have a really soft bristle brush on the hose. Canned air also can work well. I wouldn't use an air compressor unless you can regulate the pressure really low.

I agree. Canned air is much better than trying to use you air compressor. Too much will do harm to the cat.

cats can be cleaned in a number of ways, a lot depends on what in it clogging it. a well used cat which has had dry seasoned wood burned under it will generally just have fly ash in it, gently blowing or brushing is fine and usually will do a great job.

in the case of a cat which was not so fortunate and has actual hardened creosote plugging the cells a bath of warm 50-50 mix of white vinegar and water overnight followed by a gentle rinsing with the solution then clean water followed by at least 24 hours of air drying on a thick stack of paper towels can sometimes save a clogged up cat.

in both cases its extremely important to handle very delicately as once they have been fired for any length of time they become extremely fragile!

as for the platinum, its not the rim, the platinum and other refractory metals are impregnated in the coating of the cells, a cat which is delaminating will show a very thin scale flaking away from the inside of the cells. in this case the cat is probably done and will need replaced. for you fortune hunters, the amount of platnum in an average cat is extremely small, probably not worth trying to extract.

Uh oh, I ran over mine with the shop vac on both sides today, before replacing its gasket. It did not seem fragile at all - it is a SS cat from Woodstock, that replaced the one that came in my FV 201, that one was 20 years old and literally crumbled in my hands when I took it apart.

Uh oh, I ran over mine with the shop vac on both sides today, before replacing its gasket. It did not seem fragile at all - it is a SS cat from Woodstock, that replaced the one that came in my FV 201, that one was 20 years old and literally crumbled in my hands when I took it apart.

Your cat has a gasket?? Mine is just the cat and you set it in place. Must be a different design.

-Emt1581

Yes, there is a gasket under the cat. Otherwise there would be leakage.

Reactions: mfglickman
Your cat has a gasket?? Mine is just the cat and you set it in place. Must be a different design.

-Emt1581

Mine came wrapped in a gasket "fabric" - it wasn't rope like the regular ones, it was sort of like thick sparkly paper towel strips, if that makes any sense. That one was taped on with a "do not remove" sticker on it when I rec'd it, and I just replaced the gasket for this year.

Since mine is a 201, it's possible the cat/gasket is slightly different but I'd guess you'd need a gasket to keep funneling the heat and smoke through the hood and not right on past and up the flue?

Mine came wrapped in a gasket "fabric" - it wasn't rope like the regular ones, it was sort of like thick sparkly paper towel strips, if that makes any sense. That one was taped on with a "do not remove" sticker on it when I rec'd it, and I just replaced the gasket for this year.

Since mine is a 201, it's possible the cat/gasket is slightly different but I'd guess you'd need a gasket to keep funneling the heat and smoke through the hood and not right on past and up the flue?

Hmm...mine came wrapped in bubble wrap and it just fits snugly in the clay liner/spot. Do these ALL have gaskets for them because if I recall correctly the manual did not say anything about it.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Status
Not open for further replies.