cleaning the draft tubes with compressed air....anyone ever attempt it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Ok, now I'm not talking about just hoofing the air to the draft tubes and letting the dust go flying......dear wifey would KILL me. I'm taking about a well-thought procedure to clean out the draft tubes. My Napoleon 1900P has been a great stove and is suiting our needs just fine. Last year (the stove's 5th year of service) we changed out the old style, 4-piece baffles with the new-and-improved, thicker, 2-piece baffles. I also replaced all the firebrick with the GOOD firebrick, so all that stuff is good. And I also fixed a faulty draft rod (poorly installed by either the factory or dealer) and it has given me great control of the fire. However, I have noticed the bottom draft outlet doesn't seem to be releasing any air into the stove. I was thinking about using compressed air via a controllable, trigger-style air gun, and putting a shop vac at the air inlet area (inside the ash pan area) to catch the dust. Anyone ever try it? I'm thinking I will try it tomorrow and see what happens. Can't hurt anything. Just posing the question for some discussion and feedback.......

Reactions: Nixon
Is the NZ3000 finally installed and ready to go? I can't remember if you finished that last year or not.

Is the NZ3000 finally installed and ready to go? I can't remember if you finished that last year or not.
ahhhh........no :(. Honestly, BBar, I was unbelievably busy this past winter, spring, and summer with part time tree removal and my full time railroad electrician job, not to mention just plain BURNT OUT on the remodel, so I walked away and didn't get started back on that room til just a couple weeks ago. It's been sealed off from the rest of the house (our large dining room is acting as our temporary living room). As soon as the ceiling is done in that room (hoping to finish it by the end of the month), I'll finish the install of the stove. Just got my last piece of stainless Simpson class A pipe and the firestop insulation shield today from UPS, so I have all the parts needed (except the flashing for the top of the chase, that will be custom made out of copper at a local fab shop). I know, I know.....I dragged my feet on it. But it will be fired up by the middle of October. I'll ressurect that thread when the time comes and I have some new pics of the install.....

Scott, we had a stove once that had a habit of getting ashes in to partially plug it. Rather than blowing, I used a shop vac. No dust clouds that way. Just have to plug the other end.

Reactions: ScotO
Ok, now I'm not talking about just hoofing the air to the draft tubes and letting the dust go flying......dear wifey would KILL me. I'm taking about a well-thought procedure
and you have the temerity to call yourself Scotty Overkill! :) crank that compressor up to 150 ,and let rip !

Combo of air carefully metered through a triggered blow gun while shop vac is rippin on the other end...exactly what I would do. Exactly. And you don't really need a lot of pressure upstream of that gun...start out with maybe 30 PSI or so, and see how that works for ya. Rick

Scotty, are those removable on your stove?
Me being me, I'd take 'em out just to see and hopefully not have leftover parts when put back together.;lol
J/K, but just about the leftovers.
I like to see how things work, even if they're just air tubes.

We'll get into the project tomorrow afternoon, I'll try to take some pics of it. Either way, I'll report on how it turns out. I also got the crazy idea of modifying the trivet on the top shield of the stove (it's a small, square trivet that is removeable for allowing you to use the special heat-sink cooktop) so it will accept a full-size pan. Made my mind up, I'm going to do that project too, while the stove is cold. I want to be able to cook directly on the top of the stove, and also to humidify a little better with a larger pot.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Scotty, are those removable on your stove?
Me being me, I'd take 'em out just to see and hopefully not have leftover parts when put back together.;lol
J/K, but just about the leftovers.
I like to see how things work, even if they're just air tubes.
PD, no the tubes in the stove are welded in permanent on the 1900P....or else they'd be coming out (I'm the same way!;)).

Combo of air carefully metered through a triggered blow gun while shop vac is rippin on the other end...exactly what I would do. Exactly. And you don't really need a lot of pressure upstream of that gun...start out with maybe 30 PSI or so, and see how that works for ya. Rick
That's what I'm gonna do, Rick. Low and slow, if more pressure is needed I'll adjust the regulator slowly.

Ok, now I'm not talking about just hoofing the air to the draft tubes and letting the dust go flying......dear wifey would KILL me. I'm taking about a well-thought procedure to clean out the draft tubes
Hmmm... well I sort of did both at once... well-thought-out, to the extent that I kept the loading door shut before blasting the secondary air inlets with compressed air. That contains the mess, but the problem is, that plugs it up and ultimately limits the air pressure through the tubes. Did it help? Hard to say. It certainly would have been more effective with the door cracked open. Maybe you can have wifey stand there with the vaccuum hose to suck up the flying ash?!?

Hmmm... well I sort of did both at once... well-thought-out, to the extent that I kept the loading door shut before blasting the secondary air inlets with compressed air. That contains the mess, but the problem is, that plugs it up and ultimately limits the air pressure through the tubes. Did it help? Hard to say. It certainly would have been more effective with the door cracked open. Maybe you can have wifey stand there with the vaccuum hose to suck up the flying ash?!?

Yeah, I'm thinking its gonna have to be a joint effort. Plus, with her holding the vacuum, she cant yell at me for letting the dust fly everywhere. I can blame her for that! Yep, definitely getting her to hold the sweeper, thanks for the suggestion, precaud!

Scotty - that shop vac should have a fine filter on it or you may be spewing that dust into the air anyhow. The finer ash can be a little bugger to confine.

This oughta' be good.
Will there be video? ==c
My thoughts exactly! I never turn down free entertainment and may at times have initiated it. ;)

Scott, we had a stove once that had a habit of getting ashes in to partially plug it. Rather than blowing, I used a shop vac. No dust clouds that way. Just have to plug the other end.
What fun is that? We want video.

Status
Not open for further replies.