Cleaning the flue on a Jotul 550

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaugust124

Feeling the Heat
Feb 14, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
If there are some 550 owners out there that could give me some general directions on cleaning my flue from the bottom up that would be wonderful.

Cleaning from the top down myself is not an option, need a professional to do that.

Thanks.

I am planning on getting a sooteater myself (saw it recommended in a post on this site) We have cleaned from top to bottom for 30 years. Husband fell off a shed last summer helping a friend re-roof. No more climbing on roofs (ps he was ok from fall from shed, just a sprained ankle)
http://www.amazon.com/Gardus-Inc-RCH205-Sooteater-Cleaning/dp/B0010H5JXA

I also want to get this to help me split (no more axes for me, hubby can still do, but I am getting wimpy. (you did not ask but I thought I would throw this in. both above and below are on my wish lists. Guess I have enough jewelry!!
http://www.amazon.com/Lucky-Distrib...qid=1340302393&sr=1-1&keywords=smart+splitter

Checked out the sooteater. Looks like just what I need. Think I just might order one over the summer. Thanks.

I just have to figure out the actual physical part of doing it. I've never taken apart the stove to try it. That's what I could really use some advice on if anyone's interested in giving me a few tips.

You'll need to disconnect the insert from the liner and pull it out first. Here are instructions from the manual-

Jotul C550 Manual

Removing the Insert for Cleaning
U.S. Direct-connection Only:
1. Disconnect the blower power cord from its
outlet.
2. Open the firebox door and pull the insert out
enough to disengage the surround panel
assemblies by lifting up off of the brackets.
3. Lift up the Left Cast Iron Baffle to disengage the
locator boss from the Front Air Tube, and pull the
air tube forward and out of the side manifolds.
4. Keeping the Rear Air Tube in place, push up on the
Right Baffle and remove the Left Baffle.
5. Lift and remove the Right Baffle.
6. Slide the Rear Air Tube to one side to disengage
it from the Side Manifolds.
7. Remove the retainer pin from the Draw-down
Adaptor. Push up on the draw-down bar to
disengage the adaptor from the insert
8. Pull the firebox and cabinet forward as a unit.
The flue connector, liner, and chimney can now
be inspected and cleaned.
9. See page 12 for reassembly procedures.

You can then use the Sooteater or a regular chimney brush and rods to push up from the bottom. This can get very messy so seal off the fireplace opening as much as you can or attach a plastic garbage bag to the end of the liner with a hole in it for the chimney rod to go through. Wear a breathing mask (cheap at the hardware stores) too.

There are two aspects to the process. First is disconnecting the insert from the flue and pulling the insert to get access to the flue. The second is cleaning the flue. Yesterday I posted a thread in the "Gear" forum which should help you envision the second part, cleaning the flue. It is labelled "Hearthstone Shelburne", but cleaning the flue will be the same for yours. I posted several pictures of the process.

Seems like a lot of work.

Maybe the first time, but I could probably be done with the whole process in an hour on my freestanding stove (having done it once already). For an insert, I agree, disconnecting and moving the stove sound like a pain. But compared to climbing on the roof and/or hiring a sweep, I suppose it's debatable.

On my last two inserts, it was just a matter of removing the baffle and tubes and brushing out the flue. On the new one, which I got in April or so, they cleaned it, so I don't think I'll clean it this summer - but I think it's the same deal. No removing of surround or pulling out the insert, disconnecting flue, etc.

Maybe the first time, but I could probably be done with the whole process in an hour on my freestanding stove (having done it once already). For an insert, I agree, disconnecting and moving the stove sound like a pain. But compared to climbing on the roof and/or hiring a sweep, I suppose it's debatable.

I wouldn't trust myself enough to do the job. I've been burning with wood since I was about 10, and consider myself knowledgeable on that, but not cleaning a chimney. Not a professional. I defer that to those more knowledgeable than me and go to school for that kind of stuff.

The instructions for removing the baffle are in the manual. Buy a Gardus Sooteater. Remove the baffle and follow the instructions provided with the sooteater.

The instructions for removing the baffle are in the manual. Buy a Gardus Sooteater. Remove the baffle and follow the instructions provided with the sooteater.

I rate the process "eezie-squeezie"...

Status
Not open for further replies.