Cleaning the Glass while burning 24/7

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soadrocks

Nov 1, 2009
Rochester, NY
Is there anyway to clean the glass while trying to burn 24-7???? Are they any tricks I'm not aware of. Luckily, we finally had a mild spell, and just waited until this morning to clean the glass when the stove was cool. What a difference a nice, clean glass is after a month or so of straight burning. I doubt there is any secrets besides waiting until its completely cool, but thought I would check.

burn dry wood, clean glass and clean chimney
burn wet wood, dirty glass and creosote

Dirty glass is a good indication you are not burning hot enough

Agreed, dirty glass means wet wood and/or not hot enough.

Put on good heat resistant gloves and use dry paper towel dabbed onto some ash. Turn the paper often and follow with clean dry paper to dust off the ashes.

I had once when I cleaned it running 24/7, opened when I had a small fire and had a small fan on the door when wide open to cool. But as stated above it's a wood/burning issue. Not to mention if the fan aint perfect here comes the smoke and ash. Now I'm burning clean wood and the glass takes care of itself.

install an englandummerimber 13 & you'll have clean glass 24/7 as a byproduct of wood burning :lol:

Soadrocks we burn 24/7 and even though we burn hot a slight white frosting does get on our glass. We clean it before the morning reload while the glass is warm...it's the coolest it'll be for the next 24hrs.

Actually we can still see the fire OK but I like it clean clean. Leather gloves, bottled water and a couple of paper towels. We just pour the water on the towel and it all wipes off real easy.

Thanks!!! Our glass is "clean," but like Sava said, we also like CLEAN CLEAN. Nothing beats a clean clean glass. I'll have to try that....Yes, in the morning it's only 200 degrees. Wife was afraid it would break the glass or mess it up! Thanks everyone!

not to familiar with many different stoves but mine is a hearthstone I and has a screen to put over the front two "glass" doors so if they get blackened up from a slow burn and it's not clearing up as fast as i'd like i just open those doors and burn in "fireplace" mode with the screen in place till the glass cools a bit then spray with formula 409 house hold cleaner then a light scrape from a new razor blade takes it off easy as pie just in time for the girlfriend to show up for a romantic night. HA HA in a perfect world as far as the girlfriend goes but the rest is a sure thing!!!

A load of (dry) pine always does the trick and will help burn down some coals if they have built up at the same time.

If you're talking about blacked glass then the secret is to start burning hotter (it will burn the black off) and use wood that is seasoned . . . black often indicates unseasoned wood or temps that are not hot enough . . . although it can happen occasionally when a split or round rolls up against the glass for extended periods of time.

If you're talking about that white haze . . . I wait until a time when the coals are low (often after an overnight burn or when I've come home after being away all day) . . . use damp newspaper and gloves . . . a few quick swipes and things look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.