Cleaning the Leyden out and have some questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 1 year old Lopi Leyden, and I started going through tonight and cleaning it up/replacing gaskets for the the season which has already begun here.

So, please tell me what can I do to check the ceramic baffle in the stove?
When I put my fingers inside, it feels pretty crispy- what there is to feel. How long do these last?

and when I moved the pipe off the back of the stove to clean - there was a pretty huge pile (3 cups+) of black chunks, I haven't really seen such a pile before.
At the end of the last season, I burned a 1/2 cord of some pretty wet wood.
The majority of the time I burned really good wood, but cranked down pretty low. Also, the stove was used everyday all day as the main/sole heat, from (mid)October to May -about 6 cords
Do you find big piles of black chunks?

Hello, I also have the Leyden, I'm in my third season with it. I'm burning well seasoned hardwood 24-7, Oct.-May as well.

I find quite a bit of ashes and some creosote flakes in the back of the stove, behind the bypass damper, when I remove the pipe. No black chunks. Mostly gray and brown powdery ash with some black flakes.

Also, the first season my rear firebrick, the one with the exhaust vent and air intake holes, cracked. I had it replaced under warranty.

Other warranty work included replacing the bypass control arm after it warped.

You may want to check with your dealer, as there were several warranty upgrades that came out for the Leydens in the first year or two. (2006-2007)

In my experience and word of mouth from others, Lopi has excellent customer service.

Vermontster said:
I have 1 year old Lopi Leyden, and I started going through tonight and cleaning it up/replacing gaskets for the the season which has already begun here.

So, please tell me what can I do to check the ceramic baffle in the stove?
When I put my fingers inside, it feels pretty crispy- what there is to feel. How long do these last?

?

I have no idea what that block is made of or how long it will last. The rear block on my Leyden feels crispy and it is new. However, all of those parts you mentioned are still under warrenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.