cleaning the liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodpusher

Nov 1, 2014
Knoxville TN
Hi,

Winter's almost over and I was up on the roof - My liner is a little short (slightly under 15 ft.) - we didn't have any problem with lack of draft this winter.

Anyway, the liner is fairly brownish. Is it necessarily creosote? I got a few of those creosote sweeping logs. I also have a chimney brush - it's NPT (I think that's nylon something) - but the guy at the hardware store said to still be careful brushing the liner. I don't want to poke a hole in it or something. And it was tough installing the liner in the first place.

I've burnt all hardwood, so far as I know. It's fairly dry wood....I mean it's under the eaves of a shed but some rain and snow gets on the wood now and then.

There are different classes of creosote, what you describe is a good sign of good burning practices.

To me, even with minimal deposits, if you are there, might as well put the brush through it.

Share a pic or two of what you are looking at and or what you get after cleaning and that can help confirm that it sounds like things are going well / where you are at.

Have fun,

pen

You're going to have some brown color at the very least. I'd worry about how much material has accumulated beyond just a thin layer of color. If the layer of accumulated soot/creosote is just a thin coating, you're in great shape. In my chimney the creosote or soot accumulation tends to occur mostly at a few spots, not everywhere. If you pass the brush down the liner you might find that some spots have much more accumulation than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.