Cleaning the outside of your stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheseapeke

Mar 14, 2007
What is the best thing to use to clean the outside of your woodstove? I have 1 of steel and 1 cast iron insert. Any suggestions of what has worked for you? :cheese:

cheseapeke said:
What is the best thing to use to clean the outside of your woodstove? I have 1 of steel and 1 cast iron insert. Any suggestions of what has worked for you? :cheese:

A vacuum and a damp cloth.

Since the insert is usually relatively cool when I clean the glass, I start by cleaning the outside with a rag dampened in the solution I use for cleaning the glass. This is simply vinegar and hot water. I wipe everything down with a damp cloth and then make sure to dry it all with a soft cloth. If there are a lot of ashes or debris anywhere, I usually sweep them off, onto the hearth, first with a small broom.

Just wait a while longer; I'll betcha Swiffer comes out with a new super revolutionary,industrial-strength cleaning tool that stops fly-ash dead in its' tracks. :p

There is a cleaner that you can use to clean the outside, even when it's hot (BE CAREFUL) They use it for cleaning Aga ovens and you can get it wherever you can get an Aga.

Anyone have any suggestions for the best thing to clean the inside of the ceramic glass, ie: the black sooty oily stuff that always seems to eventually build up in the corners etc...

Either one of these. They work great! I shake the bottle, put some on a handful of paper towles, rub it on the glass using a circular motion (wax-on, wax off :) ), then get some clean paper towels and buff it off. Discard all paper towels into stove. It takes all of about 30 seconds. You can find the first one at Home Depot. Cost about six dollars. I mistakenly bought three of them because I thought it would run out fast. I have yet to use 1/4 of one bottle.

http://www.rutland.com/maintenance_html/84_8432.html

http://www.rutland.com/maintenance_html/564_565_565F.html

PS - Been reviewed here before, so search on rutland if you want more info.

PPS - The stuff that comes in a spray bottle is for gas stoves and doesn't work well at all. Make sure to get this stuff.

The best glass cleaner I've used is white vinegar and hot water. It's cheap and does a great job. If there are any really stubborn spots on the glass, try dipping a damp paper towel in some ash and rubbing the glass with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.