Cleaning the P61A heat exchanger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
I usually just use a 2" paint brush weekly to clean the exchanger but
I want to use a scotch-brite green pad and give it a good hand cleaning this time due to lot of fly ash.
regardless of what I use,
How Do I keep the Exhaust fan on continuous for about 10 minutes or so to suck up the dust while I clean it?
easy enough to feel it without putting my head in the stove but makes lot of falling dust.
[always brushed the exchanger when stove was going into shut down while exhaust was still running.

Last edited:
Put it in 'Test' mode.

When I clean my P43 I just wait for the combustion fan to stop so I know the stove is cool, I open the door, then turn the the stove on. The combustion fan will run forever that way and the auger wont run with the door open. Seems to work for me.

test will have the distribution blower all in your face. Open the door and put it in "Stove Temp"...combustion blower will run until you close the door...it thinks there's a vacuum failure and continues to run the blower for saftey.

test will have the distribution blower all in your face. Open the door and put it in "Stove Temp"...combustion blower will run until you close the door...it thinks there's a vacuum failure and continues to run the blower for saftey.
stove temp manual I assume so no pellets feed?

test will have the distribution blower all in your face.

Interesting. I've never noticed it since my hearth is 18" tall.

with the door open it wont feed.

Senior moment:) Too long of winter and wishing of other things.

When I want to clean the stove and it is already running, I simply open the hopper lid, and let it burn out and get cold, usually about a half hour. Leave the lid up, and clean all you want. The fan never shuts off. If the stove is already in the shut down mode, I turn the temp knob up to restart the fan, then lift the hopper lid, and clean all you want .The combustion fan runs forever. When I want the fan to stop so I can clean the blades and brush out the square flu, (and the esp probe) I need to turn off the UPS or unplug. I keep the vacuum hose near the fan blower to suck up any dust that the brush pulls out of the flu. The brush I use is nice and soft, about 24 inchs long, and about 2.5 in dia. I will upload a pic later of the brush.

When I want to clean the stove and it is already running, I simply open the hopper lid, and let it burn out and get cold, usually about a half hour. Leave the lid up, and clean all you want. The fan never shuts off. If the stove is already in the shut down mode, I turn the temp knob up to restart the fan, then lift the hopper lid, and clean all you want .The combustion fan runs forever. When I want the fan to stop so I can clean the blades and brush out the square flu, (and the esp probe) I need to turn off the UPS or unplug. I keep the vacuum hose near the fan blower to suck up any dust that the brush pulls out of the flu. The brush I use is nice and soft, about 24 inchs long, and about 2.5 in dia. I will upload a pic later of the brush.
If stove is lit hopper lid should never be open,except to quick dump in a bag.Very unsafe habit to get in to.

Please explain. Last thing I want is to be unsafe.

Search threads for hopper burn back,fire.With lid open very easy for airflow to start going up into hopper.Suppose you opened it and got called away?Just sayin bad habit to get in to.

Search threads for hopper burn back,fire.With lid open very easy for airflow to start going up into hopper.Suppose you opened it and got called away?Just sayin bad habit to get in to.
Plus seems easier just to do stove mode for exhaust fan to run..For an OFF stove..
[If I'm shutting down the stove, it's gonna be 30 minutes or so anyways to cool down]

On a cool stove, open the door and turn the feed knob to test mode. As soon as the fans come on turn the feed knob back to your normal feed setting. This will turn off the convection blower but leave the combustion blower on for as long as the door is open. When done cleaning shut the door and the combustion blower will immediately turn off.
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.