Cleaning the stove and liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JW_CANADA

Mar 16, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario
Well, I just cleaned the liner and stove out. I have burnt 3 tons of pellets this winter so far and figured it was time (probably past due). It was my first time cleaing the stove and liner since it was just installed this past fall. I have a 4" liner that runs 25' from my basement to the roof in an existing chimney. I disconnected the T from the back of the stove and was amazed at how much build up was in the bottom of the T.

I am also a wood worker so I have a 2HP 1200 CFM dust collection system in my shop. I have a 30' length of 4" flexible hose I use for connecting my planer when I am using it in the driveway. Long story short, I wheeled the dust collector around to the side of the house, ran the hose in through the window and connected it to the bottom of the liner. I was then able to use the brush from the top and clean it out really well with the added suction from the dust collector. I made an adapter to connect it to the back of the stove so I could suck the insides of it clean as well. Everything is spic and span and burning again without any mess from the soot thanks to the dust collector. I directed the output of the dust collector over the fence into the field, the snow is a little black but should go away in a day or two.

Just though I would share in case you have a dust collector in your garage that may come in handy.

JW

Status
Not open for further replies.