cleaning the window

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stockdoct

Oct 19, 2008
ilinois
I've heard often on this board the way to clean my Lopi Freedom clear ceramic "window" is to put a damp paper towel into the ash and use it to remove the film (on good days) or creosote (on bad ones) from the glass. I did this, but it still kind of smeared and took more work to get it clean than I expected. Windex worked fine. Is Windex OK for the clear ceramic window? Is there some reason that I shouldn't use it?

Thanks again! (time to go chop wood.....)

Mike

There are three brands of products that I've tried but not all of the offerings of each brand.
www.timberproducts.ca (site is down)
www.imperialgroup.ca
www.rutland.com

Timber Products really gets the creosote off but it is tough on the paint and steel.
I used the Imperial thick stuff for gas fireplaces and it does a nice job of conditioning the glass to keep it cleaner, longer.
The Rutland cleaner I tried wasn't working as well as the Timber.

stockdoct said:
I've heard often on this board the way to clean my Lopi Freedom clear ceramic "window" is to put a damp paper towel into the ash and use it to remove the film (on good days) or creosote (on bad ones) from the glass. I did this, but it still kind of smeared and took more work to get it clean than I expected. Windex worked fine. Is Windex OK for the clear ceramic window? Is there some reason that I shouldn't use it?

Thanks again! (time to go chop wood.....)

Mike

I have a Lopi Answer, and have found that you only need a tiny bit of ash, and a paper towel with only a segment of the towel wet. I tried with to much ash/dampness and made a mess...a tiny bit of ash and slightly moist towel work great.

Status
Not open for further replies.