Cleaning up acorns....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhitnee

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2015
Central Mass, USA
I have an oak that's dropped about 1.3 million acorns on the front corner of my lawn. So far just tried blowing them in the fall, which really didn't work so great and I have a good Echo blower. There are so many it's almost overwhelming.

Rake them? Ehhh. Keep driving over them with the mower? Kinda works...

Drop the tree? I've decided to drop an oak in the rear of my house, branches growing over house, it's the millions if seed pods.

Lawn sweeper should work if you have something to drag it with.

I don't know exactly what that is, the cart with the roller brush on the bottom?
Yes I have one and used it just for that in the past. Cut the grass down short then sweep, won't get every last one but worked good for me.

Reactions: mwhitnee
There is a company in Mass that advertises in Northland Woodlands magazine that they want to collect acorns from properties . They collect them and feed them to pigs for a few weeks before slaughter. Its supposed to give the pork a different taste. Apparently in Europe they just let the hogs out in the forest to collect them themselves. I had read that in the south when Chestnuts were the dominant tree that they also allowed the hogs to feed off the chestnut in the woods.

Make beer. In Tuscany I had beer made from acorns. Very nice.

You can clear the area around the tree and spread mulch. The nuts will blend in better and will eventually decompose.

I'll try and get to that. How about one of those power brooms?

Imnot sure what a power broom is. Mythoyugbt is if its a white oak the acorns will taste pretty good. You can eat them. Red oaks, well they're best fed to friends.

Get a squirrel or two . . . that will take care of the acorns.

after many years of listening to the ping of 2 large oaks dropping acorns on my cars, house and gutters, i got rid of the trees. couldnt be happier. before that i would do a variety of things to control the shin deep mess.
the best was the tow behind lawn sweeper. wasnt perfect but it got most of it up. i'd dump them in a low corner of the yard. it eventually did raise it up a bit.

I had a lot of firewood from those trees. 7 years later, the stumps are almost gone.

I love the sizes it comes in... LOL small nut wizard. I emailed them:

Dear Seeds and Such Inc;

I am considering buying your product, however I am not sure which one to purchase. One might say I have larger than average nuts. Please advise me on which product would best suit my needs. Attached is a picture of my nuts to assist you.

Sincerely,

Dr. Faustus

I love the sizes it comes in... LOL small nut wizard. I emailed them:

Dear Seeds and Such Inc;

I am considering buying your product, however I am not sure which one to purchase. One might say I have larger than average nuts. Please advise me on which product would best suit my needs. Attached is a picture of my nuts to assist you.

Sincerely,

Dr. Faustus

OMG lol. Professional nut grabber!

I've used one of those heavy duty 28-36 inch wide push broom and also a squeegy thing for spreading out driveway seal coat and a plastic snow shovel. Not much better than a wide plastic fan leaf rake.
I've been tempted to try a vacuum as they can be nasty like marbles to walk on.

Every now and then we'll have a Spring that has the right weather conditions for pollination and we'll have a huge crop of acorns under the white oak. White oak acorns set out roots shortly after they drop in the Fall so you have to get to them quick if the deer and rodents don't. The ones that do nothing are hollow and had a worm in them. you can usually see the exit hole.
You can make acorn flour out of the good ones. It's rather bitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.