Cleaning up an old smoke dragon and making it more efficient

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only seen these catalytic add-ons installed directly on the flue outlet on the stove. The flue gases need to be hot. What unit is this? What do the instructions say?

this unit i have is new,but used,it was bought years ago an never used,appartently no one that i have spoke with has no idea of even what it is ,any experiance here in nl so far is the type that comes in the stove.is the only model any has seen,when i entered on goggle the info i have on my catalytic box,this is the site i was directed to,and still am researching the net as to find out more info on my unit,i was kinda thinkin in the direction that the catalytic comb, needs to be very near to the direct heat in orderf to use it,so my thinkin was if i installed this farther up the flue,that means the pipe would have to withstand the same heat as the box,so i wasnt fussy on havin a 18 inch flue before the box turnin red in order to use the catalytic box,so in turn with the one connector i have comin out of my stove i will place the box on,,,,,,,,, it should receive good heat that close in order to operate the catalytic box....,,,,,

What is the make and model? Can you post a picture of it?

Catalytic question
I'm building a wood stove and adding a cat. I understand the cat needs secondary air to function properly. Is there an optimum way to introduce this air, other than preheating it? I was going to do a conventional secondary air with tubes like seen in most non cat stoves but wonder if this is the best setup.

Catalytic question
I'm building a wood stove and adding a cat. I understand the cat needs secondary air to function properly. Is there an optimum way to introduce this air, other than preheating it? I was going to do a conventional secondary air with tubes like seen in most non cat stoves but wonder if this is the best setup.

I suggest you start a new thread with details of what it is you are trying to accomplish, with what stove, in what setting, etc. Doing so will give you the best chance at the best help.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.