1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cleaning up an old smoke dragon and making it more efficient

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by sesmith, Mar 13, 2011.

1. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I have only seen these catalytic add-ons installed directly on the flue outlet on the stove. The flue gases need to be hot. What unit is this? What do the instructions say?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lloyd naugle

lloyd naugle New Member

Loc:
    broad cove ,cbn,newfoundland
    this unit i have is new,but used,it was bought years ago an never used,appartently no one that i have spoke with has no idea of even what it is ,any experiance here in nl so far is the type that comes in the stove.is the only model any has seen,when i entered on goggle the info i have on my catalytic box,this is the site i was directed to,and still am researching the net as to find out more info on my unit,i was kinda thinkin in the direction that the catalytic comb, needs to be very near to the direct heat in orderf to use it,so my thinkin was if i installed this farther up the flue,that means the pipe would have to withstand the same heat as the box,so i wasnt fussy on havin a 18 inch flue before the box turnin red in order to use the catalytic box,so in turn with the one connector i have comin out of my stove i will place the box on,,,,,,,,, it should receive good heat that close in order to operate the catalytic box....,,,,,
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    What is the make and model? Can you post a picture of it?
  4. Sibbeston

Sibbeston New Member

Loc:
    Yukon
    Catalytic question
    I'm building a wood stove and adding a cat. I understand the cat needs secondary air to function properly. Is there an optimum way to introduce this air, other than preheating it? I was going to do a conventional secondary air with tubes like seen in most non cat stoves but wonder if this is the best setup.
  5. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I suggest you start a new thread with details of what it is you are trying to accomplish, with what stove, in what setting, etc. Doing so will give you the best chance at the best help.

pen