Cleaning up small tree's this winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
The winter here in NW NJ has been pretty easy so far, we have only had (1) big snow (16") and that has since melted away, before the big snow hit the area I started cleaning up small tree's and brush from the back rock wall on my property, there was a lot more brush then wood but I was able to gather 1 trailer load of mostly Norway maple, there is some ash and cherry mixed in. Enjoy the photo's

2-6-16 004.JPG 2-6-16 001.JPG 2-6-16 008.JPG 2-6-16 006.JPG 2-6-16 007.JPG
Besides dragging large branches directly to the fire pit, I loaded 28 garbage cans full of sticks and dumped them directly on the fire, that pit had live coals in it for 5 days
Today I am going to split and stack that load of wood, I also have another trailer load of 4-5" diameter branches that I need to cut to size and stack,

I have the current preponderance as I "clean up" some of our properties:

At what point it is economical/smart/worthwhile to haul the smaller cuttings to the house and store them for winter heating versus just burning them on site.

In our area it is illegal to burn brush. Total PITA. I bought an 8hp chipper but it's a toy. I make lots of brush piles throughout the property then rent a 6" chipper with an autofeed every few years. I used to rent a 12" but I no longer have access to a large enough truck to pull the heavy unit around the property. Even the 6" is too heavy to pull with my Kubota scut up a hill.

We have a mortorium on burning from March to May. Its illegal as well.
Supposed to be brush fire hazard period. Or the puplic explanation for the legislation.
Because of the orchard I have special use permit. But its still a hassle. Great weather right now for exactly brush clearing, limbing or pruning.
Actually been great weather all along. No snow at all where I am. No bugs no undergrowth, no poison ivy..
You can see what youre doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.