Cleaning Up the Hill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
After we haul out what we have split in the woods I'll start along the base of this hill on a dead standing then a cherry,ironwood plus another cherry.

GIBIR

Attachments

• 100_2954.jpg
    100_2954.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 100_2956.jpg
    100_2956.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 100_2957.jpg
    100_2957.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 191
Where's the road relative to the wood, and how will you get the wood to your truck?

snowleopard said:
Where's the road relative to the wood, and how will you get the wood to your truck?

snowleopard, in the middle picture I'm standing on the main road taking the picture of the downed ironwood and once I buck up the ironwood that trail keeps going close to the base of the hill so when cutting on the side of the hill I just roll the rounds down.

I think all the roads had been put in by the original owner and it's just a matter of keeping them cleaned up.

GIBIR

Adios Pantalones said:
Cool! Leave a few for the critters too

Yup. 2-3 snags per acre is a general rule.They eventually breakdown & enrich the soil etc.

Adios Pantalones said:

Plenty left for those critters thats for sure, rotten beech for mice & moles plus the woodpeckers. I leave pine or basswood that make a nice bedding area for deer.

Zap

Thistle said:
Adios Pantalones said:

Yup. 2-3 snags per acre is a general rule.They eventually breakdown & enrich the soil etc.

Thistle, the Cherry that has been down for sometime and rotting makes for some nice soil, next time I'm back in working I will make sure and take some pictures of what I leave.

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.