Cleaning waste oil burner nozzle with melted viton o-ring?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
Ok, so the first iteration of my waste oil burner worked really well for a couple of hours, but apparently I mounted the nozzle too far into the combustion chamber-which ended up melting the viton o-ring inside which resulted in the now liquid viton rubber flowing into the fuel passages in the tip. The result is a now completely clogged and useless nozzle. I tried soaking it in gasoline overnight, but it seems that gasoline is no match for viton which seems like it's resistant to just about everything. Is there anything that dissolves this stuff? How about the old "Chemtool carburetor dip?"

New nozzles are cheap, but if you insist on trying, the rubber went into the nozzle when it melted. If you want it out, you have to melt it again.

Dune said:
New nozzles are cheap

Correction-new regular nozzles are cheap-new waste oil nozzles are $24 each! :lol: I bit the bullet and bought a new one but I'll keep the old one around to fool with it, maybe I can salvage it and use it as a backup. Dune, you'll be interested to know that this is no ordinary waste oil burner-I'm actually burning waste vegetable oil as in the stuff that I don't burn in my truck for whatever reason.

Dune said:
New nozzles are cheap

Correction-new regular nozzles are cheap-new waste oil nozzles are $24 each! :lol: I bit the bullet and bought a new one but I'll keep the old one around to fool with it, maybe I can salvage it and use it as a backup. Dune, you'll be interested to know that this is no ordinary waste oil burner-I'm actually burning waste vegetable oil as in the stuff that I don't burn in my truck for whatever reason. How's that co-gen system going?

Badfish740 said:
Dune said:
New nozzles are cheap

Correction-new regular nozzles are cheap-new waste oil nozzles are $24 each! :lol: I bit the bullet and bought a new one but I'll keep the old one around to fool with it, maybe I can salvage it and use it as a backup. Dune, you'll be interested to know that this is no ordinary waste oil burner-I'm actually burning waste vegetable oil as in the stuff that I don't burn in my truck for whatever reason. How's that co-gen system going?

Try a multi-fuel nozzle. Seven bucks, last I checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.