Cleaning window glass with ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
I read somewhere that you can clean your stove window glass with ash. Dampen a paper towel with water, dipping it in ash and rubbing it on the window residue. Then just wipe dry with a clean paper towel. I had to try it, and I was amazed at how well it worked. It worked better than the ten dollar bottle of Meeco Red Devil that I bought. Have you guys tried it? I know ash with water makes an alkali, so that must be why it works so well?

I always figured it was the grit, but it could be the lye. It certainly is a strong enough cleaner.

Matt

Works great - I learned about it here too

Yes, it works great except I've always used old newspaper rather than paper towel.

I usually wipe it with the damp newspaper and ash but then do a final with windex.

Yeah in the old days water was filtered through wood ash to get potassium hydroxide (Lye). They would use that to make soaps. I would guess thats one reason why it cleans so good. I've made lye using wood ash and it removes gunk from the glass instantly.

Nowadays I rarely get blackened glass . . . burning seasoned wood and at hot enough temps and you'll reduce the blackened glass. The only time I tend to get blackened glass is when a split or round rolls up against the glass for an extended period of time.

However, when I do get the black if it hasn't burned off on the next reload by getting it plenty hot when it comes to "cleaning day" I'll take wet newspaper or a wet cloth and dip it in the ash and it cleans up nicely . . . follow that up by drying the glass with a dry piece of newspaper. Yeah . . . I'm cheap. ;)

laynes69 said:
I've made lye using wood ash and it removes gunk from the glass instantly.

I thought I'd seen a show about someone getting severe facial or throat damage after having lye splashed in their face so is making/working with lye dangerous? Maybe it wasn't lye they were talking about but I sure thought it was...

I've only made a little of it. Yes you don't want to touch it or get splashed, but this isn't concentrated. Its a weaker form.

laynes69: Oh good, my memory hasn't gone yet because I was sure it was lye they were talking about on that show. It must take a strong concentration to actually develop the stuff into a really caustic form because I doubt most people are using gloves when they clean their glass with wet newspaper and ash... Thanks.

53flyer said:
laynes69: Oh good, my memory hasn't gone yet because I was sure it was lye they were talking about on that show. It must take a strong concentration to actually develop the stuff into a really caustic form because I doubt most people are using gloves when they clean their glass with wet newspaper and ash... Thanks.

Yes, it does take high concentration. Ash is mostly made up of calcium carbonate, with some potassium carbonate and other stuff. Ash and water won't harm your skin for short periods of contact.

Coating your bare skin with a paste made from ash and water, wrapping yourself in Saran Wrap, and burying yourself in a coffin for 3-6 months will definitely give you a rash, though. (How you'd do those last two, I'm not sure.)

Status
Not open for further replies.