Cleaning with damper in place?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

graycatman

Mar 7, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
I'm thinking of putting a key damper in my 30' stack. I have Selkirk DSP. Their damper kit replaces the stove pipe adaptor on the flue outlet directly on the stove. I clean bottom up from directly in the stove after removing the baffle using a sooteater. My sweep comes once a year and cleans the same way using a brush.

Can the damper be left in place for the cleanings or will it have to be taken out?

It will depend on how thorough you wish to be. Biggest thing to remember is not to pound on it w/ the rods or the soot eater.

The brush obviously won't be able to get past it, but it shouldn't be a problem for the soot eater, I wouldn't believe.

With it being that close to the stove, if you clean from bottom up you could use just about anything (like an old toilet brush) to scrub up the damper and around it if you keep it in place.

pen

pen said:
It will depend on how thorough you wish to be. Biggest thing to remember is not to pound on it w/ the rods or the soot eater.

The brush obviously won't be able to get past it, but it shouldn't be a problem for the soot eater, I wouldn't believe.

With it being that close to the stove, if you clean from bottom up you could use just about anything (like an old toilet brush) to scrub up the damper and around it if you keep it in place.

pen

I have a key damper in my Simpson. Its installed inside the stove adapter. As Pen said, my Soot-Eater runs right by it and up the rest of the flue...

Status
Not open for further replies.