Cleaning Wood Stove after wire brushing??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
I thought cast iron as soon as water touches it it surface rusts instantly??? I wire brushed my Isle Royale and I want to wipe it down and I saw something that said 2 cups of sea salt to 1/2 gallon of water to wipe it down?? what's the best thing to do to clean it before I paint it ?? Thanks

After vacuuming, use a tack rag or a slightly damp rag wipe followed by a denatured alcohol wipe to remove any oils.

If you are using Stove Brite paint, be absolutely sure you are in a well ventilated location and use the proper organic vapor mask. The fumes are potent and can do brain damage.

my wife tells me i have brain damage already so it wont make a difference :lol: where do i get denatured alcohol from is that a home depot / lowes thing?

Chrism said:
my wife tells me i have brain damage already so it wont make a difference :lol: where do i get denatured alcohol from is that a home depot / lowes thing?

Yes, most paint departments have it, even at smaller hardware stores.

BeGreen said:
After vacuuming, use a tack rag or a slightly damp rag wipe followed by a denatured alcohol wipe to remove any oils.
I haven't had much experience with using tack cloths, but I did use one when refinishing a wood interior door. The gummy stuff on the cloth stuck to my fingers (maybe not to the door itself since my hands were warmer) so if it were me, I would use the damp rag...

Acetone is highly flammable:

"The most common hazard associated with acetone is its extreme flammability. It auto-ignites at a temperature of 465 °C (869 °F). At temperatures greater than acetone's flash point of −20 °C (−4 °F), air mixtures of between 2.5% and 12.8% acetone, by volume, may explode or cause a flash fire. Vapors can flow along surfaces to distant ignition sources and flash back. Static discharge may also ignite acetone vapors."

That's why I suggested alcohol. It's a bit more benign.

Acetone is the solvent in Stove Brite paints. Cleaning the stove with it would be appropriate, but only with great respect to the safety data on the can and in a very well ventilated space. If you use it, wear gloves and a vapor mask for sure.

What's wrong with rubbing alcohol??

Goin with the denatured alcohol. Ill give it a day to completely dry the stove is in the basement with the dehumidfier set on the lowest setting 35% humidity so ill paint it in a couple days .

Also before I bring the stove in my house I'm gonna start a fire in it outside so there are no nasty fumes with my first burn inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.