Cleaning your HX tubes - EKO "Super"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stee6043

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2008
West Michigan
For all of us with the EKO "Super" models I was wondering how often everyone gives a deep cleaning to the HX tubes?? I was thinking once a year should be enough but does anyone do it more frequently?

For anyone that does clean them manually mid-year can you notice a signigicant change in performance?

As Fall nears I'm getting ready to take the turbulators out of my EKO and give the tubes a good brushing down. I'm interested to see how much junk remains after a year of only using the turbulators...

I do a good clean out of the tubes only once at the end of the season. Moving the turbulators vigorously before each load does a good job keeping everything clean. So far I don't see any reason to clean any more often.

I agree that stack temp is probably a very good measure of hx tube performance. After a good scrubbing, pay attention to flue temps over several burns. Make a note, and when flue temp start rising and you can't bring it down by shaking the turbulators on the Eko, might be time for that deep cleansing scrub.

I use flue temp on my Tarm as the guide to clean the hx tubes.

I have a 25 and went through the effort of cleaning my HX tubes, was very suprised how little cleaning was needed. The turbulator's themselves had most of the ash build up. I did switch the Pin and Cotter Pins to SS bolts.

Have fun. I am thinking after Labor Day weekend it is time to burn wood!

I've always wanted to have a temp probe to measuer heat going into the tubes, then it might give a nice idea of the heat being echanged. Still unsure where to find such a device that can withstand the high temp-and all at a reasonable cost.

barnartist said:
I've always wanted to have a temp probe to measuer heat going into the tubes, then it might give a nice idea of the heat being echanged. Still unsure where to find such a device that can withstand the high temp-and all at a reasonable cost.

Last year I spent a few weeks trying to find a reasonably priced temp gauge that would withstand 600 and below with no luck. I'd bet finding something you could stick in the lower chamber would be near impossibly without paying an arm and a leg.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I think I'll stick with my once a year routine and not worry...

Status
Not open for further replies.