cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobudo

Sep 10, 2008
MN
I have a Jotul Castine that was installed new a couple of years ago. It goes up 20' through the cathedral ceiling without any bends or angles.
It is only used one weekend a month during the winter but I figure it wouldn't hurt to clean it.
I have pretty easy access to the roof so I should be able to use a top down method. I have never cleaned a chimney before so I'm wondering what steps I need to take.
Do I need to take apart any stove pipe? The Castine doesn't have any type of "flu" to open/close that I know of.

Although I'm not familiar with your stove, I'll say that in most cases you should not have to take the stove pipe apart. As long as you can get up on top to clean, the crap will just go down into the stove.

You are to be congratulated in cleaning now. It is always good to make certain the chimney is in good shape. So just go ahead and climb up on that roof and give a good cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.