Cleanout Door keeps falling out of opening

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
I can't find the right material to cement the cleanout door into the opening. Iv'e tried concrete and mortar but it keeps drying out and falling off.

Should I use grout ? stucco ? construction adhesive ?

This is aggravating and the season is about to start so I've gotta get this right.

p.s. I am going to replace that galvanized stove pipe with real "black pipe" this week.

Meanwhile - What do I do about this cleanout door falling out? (see picture)

Attachments

• CleanoutDoor.jpg
    CleanoutDoor.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 199
I'm not so sure on this one. Furnace cement maybe?

Sounds to me like you need a mechanical connection. Screw? Tapcon? Anchor into block? Some kind of clamp? What you're doing obviously isn't working.

Can you get some tapcons or molyanchors set around the opening, then drill mating holes and screw it in place? If yes, maybe also epoxy the frame with the screws as anchors.

yes, that's doable.
seems mechanical fastener is the only way to go

and here's the fix ... fresh stucco and some tap cons embedding into the under mortar

OK, its actually just duct tape LOL ;=)

Attachments

• DuctTape.jpg
    DuctTape.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 147
Is that galvanized pipe being used on the stove? If so, it is not a good idea due to zinc outgassing and it is too light gauge for the application.

black pipe coming this week

Good plan my man!

The one at my folks kept falling out. First time it happened I about pissed my pants.

I was home alone, maybe 13-14yrs old. Late at night and BING BANG BUNG... from the basement. After a bit I got some courage to go check it out (plus I had to put wood in the stove) and found that the door had fallen out of the hole in the wall. I stuck it back up, seemed to hold. Couple days later same thing.
After a couple more times I put a piece of wood against it to hold it. Stayed like that... well... I think it's probably still like that and I'm almost 30!

Status
Not open for further replies.