Cleanout of hot stoves--eliminate fly ash all over the place!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scotsman

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2008
West Texas
Hi Y'all--
A while back I was whining about getting ash all over the place when having to clean out a stove with live embers and lots of heat, etc., etc. etc. I ended up going to Sears to buy a 20 foot, 2 1/2" hose--cost about $25.00. What I do now is put my shop vac out on the patio, run the hose in to the house through the patio door (pushed to) and over to the stove and put the water pickup attachment on the end (it's like a big upholstery "brush", but without any bristles--y'all know which one!). I have a 10-gallon galvanized bucket with lid. I open the stove and start scooping while I hold the end of the hose and attachment about 1/3 in from the side, level with the opening. I don't even have to be very careful. If any ash is generated, the suction from the vac pulls it in. What, if any, falls off between the door and the bucket, which is only about 6", gets sucked back into the stove by the draft, BTW, I close the draft damper all the way to make all the draft goes through the door, thus pulling the fugitive ash back in the stove. I wear an LED headlight when I do this, so if any ash DID escape, I would for sure see it. Before using the vac, this headlight showed all sorts of ash coming off the hot coals and settling on everything, which did not make Lynda happy, but she accepted it as part of the warm she was enjoying, so it wasn't bothering her as much as it bothered me. So, anyways, this works well. Any ash that might make it out the exhast of the vac is outdoors and "gone with the wind" as it were. After removing all the ash, I vac up any ash or general wood debris lying about and all is tidy once more. The only caution is that you will want the vac hose and attachment toward the edge of the container, leaving yourself room to dump shovelfuls of ash so that they won't be sucked directly into the vac. Once I dump the load, I move the attachment to the center of the bucket opening and face it down just a tad. Haven't sucked anything live in yet, but I could see a great fire out in the vac if you sucked a live one in and there was anything combustible in it already. SO, try it, you'll like it, but be careful, as always. It's so simple, even a woodburner, er, uh a caveman can do it. :lol:

i am a firm believer that my method is the cats meow.
i use a steel 5 gallon bucket, and butt it up tight to the door of the stove. scoop ashes in (they can even be coals if you want to empty out the stove)
and place lid on it before you pull it away from the stove.
the draft pulls up any dust that is riled up, and i have not had to dust around the stove in quite some time by using this method.

I like your method - too bad I'd need more like 40-50' of hose to do it :) I'm sure I could cobble together something to do it though...

However, all in all I have had pretty good luck with the "hold the bucket close to warm stove and move slow, don't dump" method. Heck, I only do it at most once a week. I think I've only pulled ashes out of the stove a total of 16 or so times since I've had the stove. I expect getting all set up as you have done there probably would take me more time than I am willing to put into it (lugging the vac up from the basement and all).

Oh - btw, I'll be thinking of you next week... We're flying into DFW and driving up to Lubbock (and thereabouts) to visit family. Hope there is decent weather!

Slow1 said:
I like your method - too bad I'd need more like 40-50' of hose to do it :) I'm sure I could cobble together something to do it though...

However, all in all I have had pretty good luck with the "hold the bucket close to warm stove and move slow, don't dump" method. Heck, I only do it at most once a week. I think I've only pulled ashes out of the stove a total of 16 or so times since I've had the stove. I expect getting all set up as you have done there probably would take me more time than I am willing to put into it (lugging the vac up from the basement and all).

Oh - btw, I'll be thinking of you next week... We're flying into DFW and driving up to Lubbock (and thereabouts) to visit family. Hope there is decent weather!

So, when you comin'? I PMed you 'bout your trip.

Texas boy said:
Slow1 said:

So, when you comin'? I PMed you 'bout your trip.

Trip is Sat-Sat, but we'll be driving all over the place (and there is a lot of Tx to drive over as you well know) so I'm not sure exactly when I'll be in your town. I'm the bus driver - wife navigates and plans the stops as it is her side of the family we're trying to chase down. We'll hammer out details in PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.