Cleanout-tee - exhaust vent question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flamegrabber

Apr 13, 2008
Northshore, Ma.
It's getting close to the time to clean out my exhaust vent pipe.

So far my stove has about ~60 bags on the clock.

I've taken my cleanout-tee end cap off 3-4 times over the last 2.5 months and it's always pretty clean. Just a very thin layer of very fine ash in it. Very thin layer.

Here's my question:

Is the amount of ash you find in the cleanout-tee end cap any indication of what's in the vent pipe?

If the cleanout-tee has very little ash does that usually mean the exhaust vent has about the same amount of ash in it?

Is there a correlation between the two?

I can't really look down my vent pipe from the roof because there are 2 45 degree elbows halfway down and I can't see around those, so I'm looking for a way to clue myself in.

Thanks!

FG.

The amount of ash buildup can be somewhat of an indicator, but it's always a good idea to look up inside the venting as long as the cap is open. Take a flashlite and a mirror for inspection purposes. Glad to hear that your checking the cleanout cap frequently - great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.