Clear trail to get to wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Went back to cut some wood this morning but I ended up just clearing trail to get where I wanted to cut.
Cleantrail-1.gif

Such a mess!
Bycreek-12-2010.gif

This is where I was headed. Two small trees right across the lane.
Cleantrail-2.gif

Ready and waiting to haul some wood.
12-17-2010.gif

The real funny part is that as I was clearing the lane I noticed the saw needed a bit of sharpening. Shoot! I can't get to the battery on the atv so I had to head back to the house to sharpen the saw. Got up to the house.....and then I remembered that I forgot to grab the sharpener. So, back to the creek to get the sharpener. Wasted time. Oh well, I'm on no clock.

Looks like I'll have to change the end of the cord on the sharpener to a plug-in rather than clipping onto the battery. If I'd have taken a file I would have just sharpened it with that. My hands might take one time...but they are awful sore so it is still best to use the dremel.

Sav, nice looking setup you have. The trees that are down are they ash, always something we leave back at the house just make sure its not the toilet paper!

zap

Zap, the one is ash but I think the other is elm. I'll know when I get the snow off it.

Lee, what is Brodie? Teach me something here.

A bad day in the woods is still better than . . .

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, the one is ash but I think the other is elm. I'll know when I get the snow off it.

Lee, what is Brodie? Teach me something here.

"Doughnuts"
"Figure 8's"
"Loop-D-Loops"
"6'in a Kamikazee"
"Grab the O'sheet handle"
"Shootin' a BRODIE"

Get'er done!
and pics please.

Gottcha Lee! I'll work on that. lol

Looks like Quads trips to the woods have been rubbing off on Dennis :)
Thanks for the pics.....I love virtual trips through the woods and trails.

Looks like it was great day to be out in the woods! And I agree with Lee, I bet you weren't too disappointed with the extra 'rides' back and forth on that new ATV...

Dennis - do you leave your plow on all the time? I found mine is so easy to remove/install that I take it off whenever I'm using the machine for non-plowing stuff. Cheers!

looks good Dennis good time to be out in the woods. Dave.

Kenny, I'd bet we would make a great team and would love it if you could help. Heck, I could sit on a stump to watch and make sure you were doing things right. After all, every job needs a supervisor. lol

daveswoodhauler, both quads and I do lots of cutting during the winter months. He just does a lot more than I do. He is younger. lol

quads, I have to admit that the extra riding wasn't all that bad. Sort of fun too. lol

NH_Wood, normally I do take it off but haven't taken this one off yet. I wanted to clear one more path for the wife's walking paths. I'll probably leave it on through Sunday as a relative is coming to cut some wood. He wants to skid logs out to the open area so I'll clear wherever he wants to do his cutting and then probably remove it.

davmor, you are right. I love cutting wood at this time of the year.

Not a bad idea Dave. Maybe I'll work on that.

Looks like a great place Dennis. We all have those days. I usually haul so much stuff around I can't find it anyways.

Billy

Dennis - got it! Didn't seem like a lot of snow from the pics, so wondering if you were actually plowing or not. So....you are able to plow a decent amount of snow along the trails with the ATV? Does the ground need to be well frozen? I'll be using my new ATV plow to plow my flat, long driveway, but also wanted to plow my trail to the shed and barn (my wood is in the barn). I usually use my snowblower for the access to barn and shed, but, I'd prefer to do the whole thing with the plow. Was worried that I might really dig the lawn up though (access to the barn is right across part of our side lawn and wife would NOT like it plowed up!). I was thinking that with good frozen ground (we are getting there) and letting the skid shoes down enough that the blade is a little above the ground, I might be okay. We'll see. Still no more that a dusting of snow here in sw NH - it must be coming soon......Cheers!

Savage our Suzuki came with a rubber capped cigarette lighter for accessories. You should think about putting one on...nice machine.

NH_Wood said:
Dennis - got it! Didn't seem like a lot of snow from the pics, so wondering if you were actually plowing or not. So....you are able to plow a decent amount of snow along the trails with the ATV? Does the ground need to be well frozen? I'll be using my new ATV plow to plow my flat, long driveway, but also wanted to plow my trail to the shed and barn (my wood is in the barn). I usually use my snowblower for the access to barn and shed, but, I'd prefer to do the whole thing with the plow. Was worried that I might really dig the lawn up though (access to the barn is right across part of our side lawn and wife would NOT like it plowed up!). I was thinking that with good frozen ground (we are getting there) and letting the skid shoes down enough that the blade is a little above the ground, I might be okay. We'll see. Still no more that a dusting of snow here in sw NH - it must be coming soon......Cheers!

Before the ground is frozen, I set the shoes so it lifts the blade more else it does plow some pretty good furrows. I'm finding now that with this blade sometimes it is best to drop the blade and then raise it just a tad when in unlevel ground or really soft stuff. Once the ground is frozen it will work much better and you can drop the blade a bit more to plow cleaner. For sure if you are plowing on the grass you'll want to keep that blade about 1/2-3/4" above the surface.

savageactor7 said:
Savage our Suzuki came with a rubber capped cigarette lighter for accessories. You should think about putting one on...nice machine.

Yes, it has one. I just have to change the ends to a plug-in vs a clip on.

Status
Not open for further replies.