Clearance behind masonry fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dirtybug

Oct 20, 2019
se PA
Hours reading the forum and I've gathered a lot of info but still have so many questions.
One that will be a full stop deal breaker is about clearance behind an existing masonry fireplace.
I currently have an open fireplace that's brick inside and built into a cinder block wall ( block ranch house). I've not used the fireplace in the year I've been here and don't plan to unless a stove or insert goes in. behind the fireplace is the garage and it bumps into that space 12-20" and a finished room was put in part of the garage so the block on one 18" side of the fp bump out and for about 8" along the rear are covered with xps foam board and wood framing.
Is this a deal breaker for having any fire on the other side? I assume the layers from inside go brick, hollow block, xps, wood.
Leaning towards a stand alone stove inside fireplace but may go insert.
Thanks for reading.

Hours reading the forum and I've gathered a lot of info but still have so many questions.
One that will be a full stop deal breaker is about clearance behind an existing masonry fireplace.
I currently have an open fireplace that's brick inside and built into a cinder block wall ( block ranch house). I've not used the fireplace in the year I've been here and don't plan to unless a stove or insert goes in. behind the fireplace is the garage and it bumps into that space 12-20" and a finished room was put in part of the garage so the block on one 18" side of the fp bump out and for about 8" along the rear are covered with xps foam board and wood framing.
Is this a deal breaker for having any fire on the other side? I assume the layers from inside go brick, hollow block, xps, wood.
Leaning towards a stand alone stove inside fireplace but may go insert.
Thanks for reading.
As long as the fireplace was built correctly you are fine

If you want extra peace of mind you could put a layer of insulation on the back wall of the fireplace.

Thanks. I appreciate the quick responses. That's what I was hoping to hear, now to research stoves that can be shoehorned into the fireplace.