Clearance Clarence

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

Feb 25, 2007
Looking at a VC Aspen or Jotul 602, the rear clearances are given for combustable walls and walls with "protector boards/air gap",
But I need clearance to a non cumbustable chimney.
The stove will be backed up to a free standing masonry chimney, I was going to leave about a 2" gap.

Nothing in the 2003 IRC, or the manufactors install manuals.

Nick

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're looking for, but clearance to combustibles are what's important, though I wouldn't butt the stove right up against the masonry. Doesn't feel right.

My take on it, and how I did/am doing my install is that clearance to non-combustibles is a non-issue... after all they aren't going to catch on fire. The manual and regs don't tell you anything about them because they only care/worry about things that will catch on fire and burn your house down.

Clearances in the stove chart are to the nearest combustible. The masonry chimney is not combustible. If the masonry wall behind the stove is wide enough (about 8" past the stove back on each side) then this is a non-issue.

Randy: Excuse me sir, there's been a little problem in the cockpit…
Striker: The cockpit…what is it?
Randy: It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilots sit, but that's not important right now.

Rumack: These patients must be gotten to a hospital or I can't guarantee saving their lives.
Elaine: A hospital...what is it???
Rumack: A big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.