Clearance issue with an Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acesneights1

Oct 18, 2008
North East CT
My Oslo is sitting in front of my existing fireplace. If you measure from the rear side corner of the stove diagonally to the face of the fireplace which is covered with sheetrock I only have about 10 inches. If I put tile over the sheetrock will that be code as far as a non combustible surface ? Also will using regular tile adhesive under the tile constitute a fire hazard ? I can't really use thinset mortar over sheetrock.

Attachments

• stove.JPG
    stove.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 315
Tiling over sheetrock will not reduce clearances. The combustible surface is the sheetrock paper. If you want to tile that area replace the sheetrock with a cement board like durock. Then you can use latex modified thinset. If you put a rear heat shield on the stove that will reduce clearances for a safe installation.

While tiling I would expand the floor tile hearth in front and on the side door side.

Thanks. That's the answer I was looking for. The hearth pad is temporary until I have time to do it right. It meets code as long as I have the lock kit installed on the side load door(which I never use anyway). There is brick under the sheetrock so I may just cut the sheetrock back more to meet clearance or move the stove away from the wall more. Thanks.

I would think about putting on the rear heat shield. You'd be fine with that, and it takes only about 3 minutes to install. It comes as a flat sheet with scored lines for the bends, you bend it into the correct shape and screw it onto the stove.

I'd rather see more of that brick you are hiding.

The sheetrock is glued to the brick. Why PO did that I have no idea but the brick doesn't look so good underneath. I'm going to tile over the brick. I think it will match the room better. I asked the dealer if the rear heat shield would give me less clearence on the corner and they said no although i thougt in the book it did but there was no "exact" scenario to what I have in the book.

well I finally got the durock up and some tile. How long you guys think I need to wait for thin set and grout to dry before I can burn again ? I didn't grout yet. Thinset as of right now about 4 hrs old.

Attachments

• fireplace low res.JPG
    fireplace low res.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 213
Looking good! Let the thinset dry for about 24 hrs. before grouting. You don't really let the grout "dry" or it will be a bear to remove. Follow the directions on the bag of grout mix. Mist spray the tiles before grouting. Spread the grout, scrape off the excess, wait about 20 minutes, then start sponging. You want to be cleaning it off after it sets, but is still damp.

I only had 10 inches from the corner of the stove to the sheetrock(combustible material) that was covering the brick fireplace. I cut the sheetrock out in the tiled area and put cement board(non cumbustible) and then covered that with Tile(also non combustible) so that solves my problem and it looks much nicer(see first posted photo).

BeGreen said:
Looking good! Let the thinset dry for about 24 hrs. before grouting. You don't really let the grout "dry" or it will be a bear to remove. Follow the directions on the bag of grout mix. Mist spray the tiles before grouting. Spread the grout, scrape off the excess, wait about 20 minutes, then start sponging. You want to be cleaning it off after it sets, but is still damp.
Thanks. I have done tile just wasn't sure about the heat from the stove drying the thinset too quickly and popping the tiles off. I know concrete will crack while drying in excessive heat conditions. So today when I get home (24 hrs later from thinset) I should be able to grout and then fire up the sove maybe an hour later. The sound of that oil burner last night was painful. It kept m awake... :)

I know you're eager, but I'd allow the grout 24 hrs to dry as well. It's best not to hustle a tile job with heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.