Clearance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
I've got the nc13 installed in a corner. I previously had a 17vl there and had plenty of room. My only clearance issue is the corners. After setting the 13, I've got 7" clearance to the corners. I believe the book calls for 8 or 8 1/2. I've got the side heat shields, which seems to take a lot of the heat away from the wall. I had her up to 650 or so for a few hours at years end and the wall was hardly even warm. What would you guys do?

Personally I'd leave it as is if it was mine. You could possibly even scoot the stove out a little without the pipe looking too bad.

Personally I'd leave it as is if it was mine. You could possibly even scoot the stove out a little without the pipe looking too bad.

That is a possibility. I could add a couple 45's to the pipe and gain a few inches but Im not wild about that look. I'd as soon stay with a straight pipe with no bends

I hear what you say about 650 for a few hours, and the wall was hardly warm - BUT unfortunately the manufacturer's clearance requirements must be met. The insurance company paying a claim won't care about the wall not getting warm, if there is a problem with the stove causing damage they will look for any reason to deny a claim.

Is it probably safe as is? Yup, maybe, but I personally I would do whatever it took to meet clearance requirements and then I would sleep well.

That is a possibility. I could add a couple 45's to the pipe and gain a few inches but Im not wild about that look. I'd as soon stay with a straight pipe with no bends
A set of 45's back to back will bring the stove out about 5".

That's more than likely what I plan to do. Would you put them at the support box or at the collar? Probably look better at the support box
Definitely put them up at the box. What kind of chimney system is it? Double wall or single connector pipe?

Now I'm glad I went more than the standard 16" it calls for in front of the stove. I've got about 22" so adding the 45's won't hurt me up front

Status
Not open for further replies.