clearance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob bennett

Feb 19, 2008
Lynden, Washington
Ok if a stove has 16 inch clearance from the back of a stove to a combustible wall, does it stand to reason that the front of my oak mantle needs to be 16 inches infront of the rear of my new stove? Or am I missing something?

It depends. Look at the instructions for the stove. Many have diagrams for being a hearth stove, placed in front of a fireplace. Many have the rear clearance shown with a mantel, and if the mantel is high enough and does not come out beyond the specs, that distance is good. Otherwise, min rear distance it to the mantel.

Back, side and top clearances to combustibles are different specs. All clearances need to be honored. What stove brand and model is this?

Well I just tossed out 16 inches. But here is an example and a picture to show what I have.

Lets look at the jotul f600 with a rear heat shield, double wall pipe going out the back. The manual says the rear of the stove should be 8 inches from combustible surfaces.

It lists trim clearances Stove to top trim 17 inches
It lists mantle s under 11 inches at 26 inches.

So If my oak mantle sticks out 2.5 inches from a brick fireplace, can I safely put this stove 10.5 in front of the brick fireplace?

Attachments

• fpsideblank.JPG
    fpsideblank.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 309
That doesn't look like it will work with the F600 and the mantle in the current location. The stove is about 31" tall. That means it'll need 48" until the flat trim and 57" until the mantle. Rear clearance to the firebrick is not an issue, firebrick is not combustible.

So If I was dead set on this stove, i would need a mantle shield lift the mantle or stuff it all the way in the stove correct? I would really to put a stove out in front of the fireplace, but it seems like all of the stoves I looked at will not let me place them in front. Dang, wehre will I put my red tea pot if I have to put it IN the stove? :) I already have an insert in another fireplace.

Attachments

• fpsideblank.JPG
    fpsideblank.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 294
  • living room stove1.JPG
    living room stove1.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 295
Seems like you can make this work with a deep hearth extension the way the diagram is drawn. The clearance above single wall pipe is 18", but that could be reduced to 8" by using double wall pipe. That should have you covered with a rear heat shield on the stove.

Well, if you're dead set on putting that stove where you say you're dead set on putting it, and the only thing stopping you is a 2-1/2" Oak mantle...how 'bout if you take down the mantle, cut it up and put it in your wood pile, and get a mason (or get yourself) to fashion a nice brick mantle that will be esthetically pleasing, functional, and non-combustible? (It's actually pretty much exactly what I did, and we love it). Rick

my wife and I have a difference of opinion on the mantle, but you are right, the best solution is to redo the mantle. The smart thing to do is agree with the wife!

I can see your wife's POV. That is a nice clean cabinetry installation.

Projecting the stove out that far into the room will be imposing. I think it would look better just partially out of the firebox. That would also be less an imposition on furniture arrangement.

Would your wife be opposed to a seasonal heatshield covering the wood trim during the heating season? It could be designed to be removable by using some machine screw inserts in the oak wood. If you are good at painting you might even be able to do a faux wood finish on it.

I think she will go for it if I call it "a seasonal" mantle shield. machine screws and threaded inserts would pretty slick method. Thanks!
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.