Clearance question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aranyic

Burning Hunk
Sep 3, 2015
Ohio
So I'm sure I know the answer to this but I'll ask anyhow. Considering trying to put a stove in my shop that had an oil furnace that hasn't been fired in probably 5 years. I really dont want to pull the furnace but I guess I could.

Is an unhooked (oil line disconnected and capped about 4 feet away from the furnace) considered combustible. I assume I would need to keep the stove which is a non ul wonder warm stove 36 inches away from the furnace?

Picture isn't the best but you can kind of get the idea. Concrete floor, would have a knock a brick out behind and run double wall pipe to keep clearance to some wiring.

Have to have someone out to inspect the chimney if it seems doable. Don't want to spend the money if it looks like it'll take more work than I want to put into it right now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
31c21c355d5dd64d70386199f5c4e7c6.jpg

I wouldnt think the oil line is combustible if its disconnected and capped. My wood furnace is about 8 inches away from my gas furnace for what its worth. I thought it kind of odd but the installation directions specified that distance between the two. Nothing really flammable on the gas furnace i suppose, BUT im no expert.

No guarantee for everyone else I was able to speak with our inspector. He said that for all intents and purposes for him it's non combustible. Wanted me to blow out the line with just a little bit of air or something to clear any oil that's in the furnace if there was in as a precaution and just make sure that there's not any laying in the furnace anywhere still.

Status
Not open for further replies.