Clearance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 29, 2011
CT
I received a call from my new homeowner's company stating that the clearance on my Napoleon 1100 pedestal stove needs to be at least 10" from the corner of the stove to the wall. Looking at the manual - it's 2" with a double wall connector (which we have). Actual clearance is about 5".

Is there any newer code that would supersede the manual? If not, anyone have suggestions on how to best proceed with the insurance company? I'm not looking forward to putting more holes in my roof in order to move the stove 5"!

Manual: https://www.napoleonproducts.com/downloads/fireplaces/manuals/W415-1468.pdf

Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
No the manufacturers clearance are what you go by. But your insurance company can require whatever they want.

is your stove a corner installation? That means set at a 45 in a corner. That's the only time the corner of your stove can be within 2"s of a wall. If so I'd provide pictures to your agent and ask for clarification from your agent on why they would be requiring more than the manufacturers certified clearances.

If you are unsure of how your installation type might be viewed post some pics up here.

is your stove a corner installation? That means set at a 45 in a corner. That's the only time the corner of your stove can be within 2"s of a wall. If so I'd provide pictures to your agent and ask for clarification from your agent on why they would be requiring more than the manufacturers certified clearances.

If you are unsure of how your installation type might be viewed post some pics up here.

It's in a corner of the room, but the other side exceeds the clearance by far. It's almost like it's along the wall with the one corner facing the wall at a 45 degree angle. The other corner is several feet from anything.

a picture tells a thousand words as I said if it is a corner installation I'd be getting the agent pictures of the install and the data plate on the stove and asking for clarification on their end of why they would require more than the manufacturers certified clearances? Seems they should have some interest in keeping your businesss. Or shop it around if you have to.

Reactions: momof2nutlings
Yes you should definatly send pics and a copy of the required clearances. But if they want they can require whatever they want. They are a private company and can require anyrhing they want for their service.

Certainly but most seem happy with a code compliant install. Seems somehow the agent is hung up on requiring sidewall clearance for a corner install. I'm betting it's simply a misunderstanding. Or without seeing pictures there's some reason the agent isn't considering it a corner install. Which as you've mentioned is their prerogative.

And if that doesn't pan out find another insurance company.

I'm going to guess that the agent or underwriter is using the side wall clearance of 10" instead of the corner clearance. The best thing to do is send them a copy of the clearance chart and a picture from above looking down of the stove with a tape measure or ruler showing the actual corner clearance of the installed stove.

Clearance question

Thank you all very much for your help and encouragement to contact the insurance company with the correct data! I sent my agent the link to the manual, as well as the picture that begreen was kind enough to post, with everything circled so nicely, and I have been told that the installation is fine. I don't have to move it!

Again, thank you all very much for your help.