Clearance required

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faye

Nov 18, 2015
NC
Hello, My husband and I are new to heating with wood. We are in the process of installing a Woodstock Keystone stove. The stove will have a rear heat shield as well as double-walled pipe. My question is what clearance is safe for using wood on the wall behind the stove and having a wooden mantel? If using tile behind the stove, how about with a wood mantel. I would really love to re-purpose pallets for the wall, but we have a very small house so this may not work with the space we have available. Thanks for any help and advice.

There are different keystone stoves. go here:
http://www.woodstove.com/support
and find your stove model and open the installation manual. In it you will find the info you want for your stove. Double wall stovepipes can be as tight as 12". Tiling the wall will not do too much unless you have an air gap of 1" between the existing wall and the tile; so you would have to build some sort of sheet with 1" spacers secured to the wall and then tile over that. This would reduce the clearance requirements to ~60% of what it is in the manual.

Given you have a shielded stove and double wall piping, you may not need extra shielding at the back. I don't have it and the drywall never gets hot, a bit warm to the touch.

Don't forget to address the floor, unless you're on concrete you will have to build a hearth pad (or buy one).

Hello, My husband and I are new to heating with wood. We are in the process of installing a Woodstock Keystone stove. The stove will have a rear heat shield as well as double-walled pipe. My question is what clearance is safe for using wood on the wall behind the stove and having a wooden mantel? If using tile behind the stove, how about with a wood mantel. I would really love to re-purpose pallets for the wall, but we have a very small house so this may not work with the space we have available. Thanks for any help and advice.
If you follow the clearances in the manual there shouldn't be an issue with the wood wall. I would contact Woodstock support for questions about the wood mantel clearance requirement.

The clearance to combustibles listed in the manual is talking about clearance to that wood surface. The whole concept of a non-combustible covering on that wall is almost always just extra safety or aesthetics and not a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.