Clearance requirements for NONcombustible surfaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arkyheat1

Aug 21, 2014
arkansas
My hearthstone shelburne is located partially inside an old masonry fireplace. The fireplace itself is externally attached to the house, so I lose a lot of heat through the masonry to the outside.

I'm wanting to install a heat shield directly behind my stove that essentially blocks off the old fireplace opening to the exterior bricks. The easiest route for me to do this is to put some sheet metal behind the stove as the barrier.

Is there a minimum distance this metal must be from the back if my stove? The easiest installation would bring it to about 1 inch from the rear of my stove. Anything further would require a LOT more measuring and cutting. There would not be any combustible material behind the metal, but I do plan to put some roxul insulation behind the metal.

Many thanks.

There's no problem with your idea. If everything is noncombustible then you're fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.