clearance to combustibles...again...and use of 90degree elbow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nooburner

Oct 9, 2014
toronto
Hi all,

So i have a CH2500 and the manual states that i need the clearance to combustibles to be 10.5 inches on the side and 20.inches to the back in a corner configuration. Here is the manual online http://www.usstove.com/image/manuals/Wood/2500.pdf

My question is I installed a heat shield using 1/2 cement board with slate tile and with the 1 inch air gap which allows a 50% reduction in clearance to combustibles but I heard that you can't 'double up on the clearance if stoves like the CH2500 already have a shield on the back and sides. is that true? If that is the case the heat shield is useless. The other issue is that if i do need to maintain the factory set clearance then I cannot use my two 45 degree elbows and instead need to use two 90 degree elbows in order to push out the stove from the heat shield which sucks for draft. The other question I have is there a recommended minimum vertical length from the stove to the 90 degree elbow to ensure the best draft through two 90 degree elbows?

thanks

AA

This question can only be answered authoritatively by the stove manufacturer. If it's not spelled out specifically in the owner/installation manual, you need to contact them. Rick

I noticed that on page 9 of your manual it says, "• To reduce flue clearances from combustible materials, contact your local safety department." This is another route you might take to find out if you can reduce clearance by using a wall shield. This statement in the manual seems to me to give the final say to your local Authority Having Jurisdiction, whoever that may be in your locality. Rick

okay lets say for a minute that i cannot reduce the clearance what about the adding the two 90 elbows. Should about 4 feet from stove to chimney adapter. I figure adding two 90s will reduce that vertical clearance to about 3-3.5 feet.

rotate.jpg

Hard to say without seeing but they say that the use of nineties should be avoided due to draft restrictions. I have one on my stack where it before the thimble going into the chase but after that I have 18' of class A that pulls a good draft despite the elbow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.