Clearance to Combustibles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abunker11

Jun 4, 2014
Mass.
I have asked this question before but as part of another post and I think it got buried. I am installing a quadra-fire 4300 in my basement attaching to metalbest stovepipe. The allowable clearance from the top to combustibles is 53 inches. The allowed clearance from the rear to combustibles is 11 inches with single wall pipe. I am concerned that even with these clearances the distance from the top of the stove to wall is less than the 53". Am I being overly cautious when I think I should shield the back wall too? Is the 53 inch measurement really meant to be taken at a 90 degree angle to the stove top? QF rear clearances.jpg

Attachments

• Clearance to Combustibles.JPG
    Clearance to Combustibles.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 92
The 53 inches is straight up above the stove. I think this is because the heat radiates mostly straight up off the plate steel top. The diagonal you are measuring is not a concern.

Reactions: Abunker11
The 53 inches is straight up above the stove. I think this is because the heat radiates mostly straight up off the plate steel top. The diagonal you are measuring is not a concern.
Thanks. I felt it had to be okay but better safe than sorry. Is that a quadra-fire in your profile pic?

Sure is! 3100 step-top. Keeps the hours at a toasty 72-74 with no effort on lowest settings! Getting perfect coals for reloads in the morning too!

Nice. Great to hear it's working right. I haven't used mine yet and it is on the large size for my house but I liked somebody's statement on here that you can build a small fire in a big stove but you can't build a big fire in a small stove. Might have it fired up today! Can't wait to see how it performs.

Status
Not open for further replies.