clearance to gas meter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

corkman

Minister of Fire
Dec 3, 2009
SE,Mass
does anyone know what the clearance is from vent termination to a gas meter.i am considering a 2nd stove for my basement and the ideal location is at the bottom of the basement stairs.i can vent it out the basement window but the meter is close by.if i can get the vent pipe out the top left side of the window and then turn a jet cap to the left the end of my venting woul be 34"/38" from the meter.that woul be using a 2ft piece of horizontal.i can go with more horizontal if need be to get me further away from the meter.

2nd option would be to put stove against front basement wall and would involve drilling a hole thru plaster walls and foundation wall.i can meet all clearances to doors and windows this way but i would prefer to vent thru window if i have the clearance to the gas meter.

basement is fully underground and all venting will be 4".adapter,T,5ft vertical,90, 2/3ft horizontal and jet cap

stove prices
cab50....$1,400
classic bay 1200....$1,900
2008 used quad castile $1,000

call the gas company im sure they would know. But if this is a self install no permits and such I would just ask the building inspector, of course then you need a permit...

Nat gas or propane.. they have different codes. Is there a regulator on the meter?

natural gas and i do believe ther is a regulator.
looked in the heatilator manual and the quad manual.they used to have a diagram in there that showed the clearances.they have since removed the diagram and clearances are now in word only and there is no mention of gas meter clearance.dealer said all those clearances in the book are not even for pellet stoves but were originally put in place for wood and gas stoves.he said clearances were a lot less for pellet stoves.
i was planning a trip to town hall on monday to talk with inspector and was hoping to have something to show him before i get too deep into this and have to change the plan.

corkman said:
natural gas and i do believe ther is a regulator.
looked in the heatilator manual and the quad manual.they used to have a diagram in there that showed the clearances.they have since removed the diagram and clearances are now in word only and there is no mention of gas meter clearance.dealer said all those clearances in the book are not even for pellet stoves but were originally put in place for wood and gas stoves.he said clearances were a lot less for pellet stoves.
i was planning a trip to town hall on monday to talk with inspector and was hoping to have something to show him before i get too deep into this and have to change the plan.

Incorrect.

36" inches in the US and 72" in Canada if there is a burp valve on it.

the discharge area of the vent is consider a point of ignition.. in the real world they are piped away (you see this alot on pool heaters) bottom line is the code inspector.. bring donuts!

mr coffee said:
the discharge area of the vent is consider a point of ignition.. in the real world they are piped away (you see this alot on pool heaters) bottom line is the code inspector.. bring donuts!

Yep, the town or state can also say it must be more.

Status
Not open for further replies.