Clearances from fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gwf96001

Jun 14, 2008
Connecticut
I'm looking into installing a stove on my hearth partially in my fireplace. I've read a lot about clearances around the stove. Do I still have to have clearance if the stove is in my fireplace? What I mean is can my stove be just 1 or 2 inches from the brick on the top of my fireplace?

The clearances involved with the installation of a woodburning appliance, in addition to just the physical size constraints, are clearance to combustibles (CTC). These are critical to the safe operation of the appliance. The requirements are spelled out in detail for each individual unit by the manufacturer in the installation instructions. Depending on how your fireplace is built, and what sort of mantle (if any) you may have above the opening, you may be able to do the sort of installation you're envisioning. In order to tap into the wealth of expertise available here on this forum, you'll need to provide some more information. How big is the space you want to heat? How is it configured? What are all the dimensions of the existing fireplace? What's the hearth construction & size in front of the fireplace? There are many more questions to be answered, but this post is long enough already. Pictures help a great deal. Welcome to the forum! Rick

If this is a masonry fireplace and large enough to consume most of the stove then you are most likely ok with clearances. If the stove body (not ash lip) sticks out a few inches then clearances to combustibles must be honored from the stove surfaces for side wood trim and mantels. Often the mantel is a gotcha. But there sometimes are workarounds.

Many stove manuals will have specific instructions and clearances defined for a hearth mounted stove.

Thanks for the quick replies. I asked the question because I am looking for a woodstove to install in my living room to help reduce my dependence on oil this winter. My house is roughly 1700 sq ft. The house is a colonial with the living room downstairs and the bedrooms upstairs. The downstairs has a open floor plan so my hope is that heat will circulate but I'm not opposed to running fans if necessary. The stairs are on the other side of the house from the fireplace. I'm looking at a couple of used stoves and they seem to all be right around 28 to 29" high. My problem is that is the exact height of my fireplace openning (28.5" H, 34" W, 20" D with 21" brick hearth). I was hoping to be able to position the stove sitting on the hearth in such a way that I could fit the chimney pipe out the back and into the chimney. I'm looking at a Defiant and a 400 Castine. I really hate to have to go to a smaller stove because of burn time and BTU advantages of the bigger stoves. I'll try to post some pics tonight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Agreed that you'll want a good heater in there. Try to stay with a modern stove if used. You might be able to top vent the Castine and therefore set it in deeper in the fireplace cavity.

Again, it's the clearance to combustibles from the hot stove surfaces that you need to watch. Is there a mantel on this fireplace?

small - good, 14" = problem. Is it a work of art worth protecting or could it be replaced or done without?

It depends on the stove. The clearances are whatever the manufacturer specifies for a fireplace installation. Sometimes the mantel can be shielded. Sometimes the best solution is to remove or raise it. Or replace it with a non-combustible one.

What stove are u looking at?

If I understand the installation correctly I would look not be looking at top loaders. Seems like an insert would work almost as well and may make keeping the mantel easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.