Clearances question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Richards

May 21, 2013
Southwest Minnesota
Hello everyone, this will be my first year burning wood as my main heat source. I have learned much by reading the forums here but am having trouble finding a concrete answers about the following that I hope someone can shed some light on. I will be purchasing a PE Super 27 because of the close clearance tolerances allowed by the stove design. My question is this. Can i further reduce the clearances to combustibles by using wall protection also. I thought I read somewhere that if the stove is using heat shields already in the design of the stove that you can't reduce the clearances anymore by adding wall protection. That just doesn't seem to be logical to me but I am no master of logic either. I like the idea of using sheet metal wall protection spaced out 1" and therefore getting the stoves corner installation at 1.5" from the wall. I have a desire to keep as much floor space as possible in the room where the stove will be located and if I can get the stove to that tolerance I will be able to use my current Hearth Pad that I built for my pellet stove. Just trying to be lazy i guess after cutting and hauling all that wood!

Welcome to the forum, Mark. As you may have already seen, PE has little to say in the manual. It does say that you can reduce clearances on a single wall pipe installation, but the implication is that you cannot with double wall. You will find outside references for installing panels as you suggest, but I've heard it said that the manufacturer's manual should be the ultimate guide.

Maybe a call to a dealer is in order. Also, this online seller has a good reputation for product knowledge and answering questions: http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/

No, wall protection only allows a reduced clearance of 12"
if the maker already allows a closer clearance than 12", nfpa211 wall protection wont get you a closer clearance

Reactions: webby3650
Check, understood. I will just have to bite the bullet and build a new hearth thats a bit bigger than the one i have. I dont think there is another stove with lower corner clearances than the super 27(double wall pipe-4") in the medium heating size. If I am wrong please point me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.